Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 11:44 PM

Sharpening tools

Does this need to be in here, or gardening?

Does anybody here sharpen their own shears?
If so, what do you use and how do you do it please?

Ta muchly.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2020, 12:32 AM

Re: Sharpening tools

I use a standard cross-cut `bastard` file - not too coarse. Just follow the angle of the original blade.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2020, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I use a standard cross-cut `bastard` file - not too coarse. Just follow the angle of the original blade.
Good advice. 👍
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2020, 07:43 AM

I get a pro to sharpen anything I need sharpened. Apart from ordinary kitchen knives that is. I have a three quarter Katana that was dead blunt when I bought it years ago. I had it sharpened and I use it to slash in the garden when it gets a bit thick. The guy that did that does my things.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I get a pro to sharpen anything I need sharpened. Apart from ordinary kitchen knives that is. I have a three quarter Katana that was dead blunt when I bought it years ago. I had it sharpened and I use it to slash in the garden when it gets a bit thick. The guy that did that does my things.

I would normally take them to the garden tool place too, Keezoy, but everywhere is closed and they are so blunt I will have to try and do it myself.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-05-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Thank you Judsy.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Plenty of ideas on youtube Mups.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-05-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Plenty of ideas on youtube Mups.

I was only watching that last night Barry.
Do you really have to take them apart to sharpen them though? I'll have to get some spanners if so - or I've got one of those wrench's where you turn the little wheel thingy to adjust them, that might do the trick.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

02-05-2020, 11:58 AM

Not necessary Mups no, but normally it's only a wing nut on a spring device holding them together, which allows for adjustment as they wear. I tell you what though, if it's easier then just parcel them up and send them to me and I'll do them for you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 12:10 PM

Often it is just a case of tightening up the nut and bolt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top