Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 03:10 PM

Re: Radiator Valves - Replacement not so Easy!

I have been in this house for over 50 years and I remember having a problem with fitting a 15mm metric fitting onto an original 1/2" pipe. From memory I think I needed a special olive.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 03:50 PM

All good advice, but I would suggest having two compression stop ends on standby.... as sometimes changing rad valves can be a nightmare.

The new valves different dimensions, might require pipe alteration...shortening is not the problem, lengthening can be if there is not sufficient play.

Just a fraction off can result in leak ( drip )

Removing the cone can be a pig, especially if it were over tightened... But sometimes you can leave the cone and nut if it fits the new valve

If there is no stop tap or gate valve, just tie up the ball valve arm in the small header tank with string to a piece of wood spanning the tank.

Draining down the system is best, prevents panic

Now if problems, from damage to pipe or what ever occurs... you can just cut back the pipe and fit the stop end(s) refill the system and have a re-think of other ways to do this.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
All good advice, but I would suggest having two compression stop ends on standby.... as sometimes changing rad valves can be a nightmare.

The new valves different dimensions, might require pipe alteration...shortening is not the problem, lengthening can be if there is not sufficient play.

Just a fraction off can result in leak ( drip )

Removing the cone can be a pig, especially if it were over tightened... But sometimes you can leave the cone and nut if it fits the new valve

If there is no stop tap or gate valve, just tie up the ball valve arm in the small header tank with string to a piece of wood spanning the tank.

Draining down the system is best, prevents panic

Now if problems, from damage to pipe or what ever occurs... you can just cut back the pipe and fit the stop end(s) refill the system and have a re-think of other ways to do this.
Thanks M.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top