Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 12:09 AM

Doc Martin.

I've only recently started watching it. I have the DVD's and am on series four at the moment.

There's something about his personality that's not quite right.

Has he got Aspergers does anyone know?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 12:18 AM

Re: Doc Martin.

It's not explicitly stated but it's pretty clear that he has Aspergers. He finds it impossible to put himself into anyone else's shoes. But then Louisa and others such as Penhale and Mrs Tishell have their own issues. The comedy is that everyone thinks they are perfect but nobody really gets anything quite right. They all muddle along somehow with nobody learning anything from their mistakes.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 12:34 AM

It is one of British TVs best efforts. Great show. Martin Clunes shows his talent in that he could not be any different a person to Doc Martin. I;m sure we're meant to think that he is on the spectrum in some way. Asbergers, high functioning autism etc. The character's history of emotional neglect and indifference from his parents suggests that his adult persona is a result of simple self protection from a world that he has learned from a young age not to trust. Auntie Joan seemed to be the only person on Earth that he knew truly loved him. And I think one of the constant threads throughout the show is his efforts to accept that Louisa loves him as much. He himself is a remarkable person who saves lives every day. It's one of those shows that makes you both love, respect pity and want to throttle the main character. That is no mean feat of acting. THe other one that came close is Basil Fawlty. And even then you only wanted to throttle him. Apart from Louisa I think Morwenna has quietly done more for him than any of the others. She is certainly the most competent.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 12:56 AM

They are all competent yet incompetent. Morwenna included. That's why it's so brilliant.

I suppose the real contrast is when you see Martin Clunes interviewed. He's a brilliant actor. To be able to successfully suppress his warm and vibrant real life personality is true talent.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-05-2020, 12:58 AM

I used to believe in nurture but these days I'm very much on the side of nature....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 06:49 AM

The first series in which I saw Martin Clunes was 'Men behaving badly' and that was so appalling it put me off appreciating him. Then I saw him in a film - 'Staggered' - with Anna Chancellor and a host of other well known actors - it was a little gem. Have seen him in a few documentaries since then and liked him more each time - but never seen 'Doc Martin. Will watch out for it.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 07:39 AM

I love Doc Martin...are they making another series I wonder?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I love Doc Martin...are they making another series I wonder?
I love Doc Martin also. I am re-watching the series on iTV. It's on tonight.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 12:20 PM

I love Doc Martin too , although I think I might have read somewhere or other that this may be the last series . A shame !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I love Doc Martin too , although I think I might have read somewhere or other that this may be the last series . A shame !
I read something like that on a TV page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top