Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 08:36 PM

old tool box

Having a look around the workshop there was this tool box that must have done at least 4 house moves with us and I have never bothered to open it
Inside was all my old sockets torque wrenches- rachets and extn bars from when I used to work on cars for a bit of extra money. Saving for when we were engaged to be married , nearly 50-years ago.
this is just the small sockets, must be all imperial size I guess

Oh the memories of bruised knuckles and oily hands
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:02 AM

Re: old tool box

It looks like you've got a good collection there

I used to do car mechanics till I decided I was getting too fat & old to be lying on my back on the concrete changing gearboxes
Anyway, modern cars are becoming (have become?) increasingly difficult for DIY repairs & servicing
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
It looks like you've got a good collection there

I used to do car mechanics till I decided I was getting too fat & old to be lying on my back on the concrete changing gearboxes
Anyway, modern cars are becoming (have become?) increasingly difficult for DIY repairs & servicing
I quite agree. I have removed and fitted engines, gearboxes and clutches along with many easier jobs but these days, I can't even be bothered to fill the screen wash bottle.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I quite agree. I have removed and fitted engines, gearboxes and clutches along with many easier jobs but these days, I can't even be bothered to fill the screen wash bottle.
Same here, around 1980ish was the last big repair, my mate worked for the DOE HGV Testing Station and, was a key holder, so, at the weekend, we let ourselves in and used one of the many inspection pits to change the Spigot Bearing on my Triumph Dolomite.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Mind you, back then, you'd do anything to keep the "Babe Magnet" running.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 12:20 PM

Since we're rambling......

A friend made this comment -

When you change a clutch you think - Huh! that was a hard and tedious job. Next time I'll take it to a garage

So the next time you say - How much?! Next time I'll do it myself.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Before transverse engines were the norm, a clutch change on the driveway was a doddle. I came across a Mobile Mechanic and asked him, how much for a clutch change on a Mondeo, he didn't want to know, not being able to put it on a ramp made the job hell.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Same here, around 1980ish was the last big repair, my mate worked for the DOE HGV Testing Station and, was a key holder, so, at the weekend, we let ourselves in and used one of the many inspection pits to change the Spigot Bearing on my Triumph Dolomite.

I also had a Dolomite, it was the ideal vehicle for mechanics training.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Since we're rambling......

A friend made this comment -

When you change a clutch you think - Huh! that was a hard and tedious job. Next time I'll take it to a garage

So the next time you say - How much?! Next time I'll do it myself.

Sadly, realspeed's old toolbox wouldn't do very much these days as every job seems to need a special tool. My old Fiat 128 was put together using nothing but M10 bolts (or was it M8? - I can't quite remember).
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 04:21 PM

Ditto. Been there, done that, got the Haynes manual to prove it . I stopped when I bought my very first brand spanking new car, lifted the bonnet and thought, "Sod that for a game of grease monkeys". I do fill the wash bottle though

Sadly, realspeed's old toolbox wouldn't do very much these days as every job seems to need a special tool. My old Fiat 128 was put together using nothing but M10 bolts (or was it M8? - I can't quite remember).
Mostly M12s if memory serves. My 1st car in Italy was a FIAT 128 Sports.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top