Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 11:42 PM

Re: Street lighting for free!!

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes, it is part of Council Tax, but in order to save money Councils are starting to turn them off.

Yes, they were turning alternate ones off here to start with.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 01:04 AM

Thank you Meg. Guess I just misunderstood Doc.
Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
.... i just cannot understand why street lighting isn't free as i would say its a very important safety matter.
The big electric companies should squash all charges for street lighting ....
One could argue that the cost of most of the 'public' lighting or other electricity charges, recouped in Council Taxes, is important for safety, for the security of public property or the provision of public services.
If Electricity Companies waived those very substantial costs to councils, you could bet that they would massively increase the charges to individual domestic consumers to offset that loss of revenue.

And one could argue that they would be justified in doing so.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 07:05 AM

There is no direct charge to individual people for street lighting but we all pay for it via Council Tax. I take it Doc means it's the bill charged to the councils for street lighting that should be waived.

Even if the power used by lighting isn't metered in isolation, councils and electricity companies will be able to fairly accurately work out what power is used by street lighting.

It's all a bit academic though because street lighting won't be ever be free. As said, if it was, profits lost would be recouped elsewhere and we'd end up paying one way or another.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
There is no direct charge to individual people for street lighting but we all pay for it via Council Tax. I take it Doc means it's the bill charged to the councils for street lighting that should be waived.

Even if the power used by lighting isn't metered in isolation, councils and electricity companies will be able to fairly accurately work out what power is used by street lighting.

It's all a bit academic though because street lighting won't be ever be free. As said, if it was, profits lost would be recouped elsewhere and we'd end up paying one way or another.
Absolutely Mart, swings and roundabouts. If we paid less in council tax because the power companies waived the charges we would no doubt pay more in our electricity bills to maintain their profit margins .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top