Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 06:53 PM

Could it be Irexit next?

Interesting read....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ics_newsletter
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 07:11 PM

Re: Could it be Irexit next?

I've said for a while now that the Republic could well join up with NI and leave the EU.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Interesting read....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ics_newsletter
Thank you for this advert of ray bassett's new book on post-brexit ireland.
What was the point you wanted to debate?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 07:48 PM

Hi

I cannot see anyone else seeking to leave until they find out how we do in these strange times.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I've said for a while now that the Republic could well join up with NI and leave the EU.
Northern Ireland will continue to apply the Union's Customs Code and will remain aligned to relevant rules of the Single Market needed to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland.
Northern Ireland will remain aligned to a limited set of rules related to the EU's Single Market in order to avoid a hard border: legislation on goods, sanitary rules for veterinary controls (“SPS rules”), rules on agricultural production/marketing, VAT and excise in respect of goods, and state aid rules.
In effect the means that Northern Ireland will remain in the EU's Single Market for goods?

There is a strong case to make for ROI and NI joining together as part of the EU.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

14-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I cannot see anyone else seeking to leave until they find out how we do in these strange times.
Remember those negotiations for a fta between UK and new zealand?
UK ‘not match-fit’ for post-Brexit trade talks, says New Zealand’s deputy prime minister
Winston Peters says he is ‘very frustrated’ with lack of progress in talks. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9667416.html

A country of 5 mln inhabitants berating the mighty UK? Time to send in the marine!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Why ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

14-08-2020, 11:28 PM

Why ?
They can't believe that brexit will only knock off 5% of your gdp by 2025, whereas the trade deal with the usa will increase it with a whole 0.2%, the japan deal 0.07%, the australia deal 0.02% and new zealand 0.1%. There must be a hidden source of income you not reveal to the world. All EU members are holding their breath to find out!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 01:06 AM

I suppose this daft speculation will cease when you have finally suggested that each of the 27 (?) countries will leave. How many so far? Netherlands, Italy, France and now Ireland, I wonder who is next? But when you run out what will you do? suggest who will leave ASEAN? or OPEC?

It smacks of desperation to me -"we've left so everyone else should too". There doesn't seem much of a rush for the exit so far.

Actually it makes far more sense for Northern Ireland to join Eire and get the benefits the EU offers them as a net exporter. This would surely benefit both the UK and Ireland?

I vaguely recall that in the last Irish election two candidates standing on the platform of leaving the EU got less than 2% of the first preference votes and that membership of the EU is supported by over 70% of the population (might be higher).
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 05:55 AM

Why ?
Hi

I was merely stating the obvious.

No other major world economy has ever left such a major trading bloc,

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top