Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:52 AM

Re: Coronoavirus: Furlough Wind Down Starts

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I certainly hope he will protect the Creative Arts Industry. There are SO many people working in theatre/entertainment who are self-employed and have had NO help whatsoever. I'm not referring solely to actors & actresses but all the very many support staff who make a show possible................one of these is my son, who fortunately is employed and has been furloughed since March. At the age of 34 and having worked extremely hard to achieve his current position, he has no idea if his job, or even his career, will exist after covid (if there is an "after" covid!). What a horrible situation to be in....................... I'm hoping today's announcement will be generous!
Sad though it is, I can't see how any industry built on being watched by spectators, e.g. Stage, Sport, etc., can be protected, longer term, by the taxpayer.

For the employees it will have to be the benefits system.

For the owners, there's little in the form of options.

Maybe bigger taxes on the TV media? Who knows?

Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Sad though it is, I can't see how any industry built on being watched by spectators, e.g. Stage, Sport, etc., can be protected, longer term, by the taxpayer.

Thanks Ted. Yet more waiting to see what has been done and what more, if anything, can be done.

At the moment, trying hard to ignore the in-house "I'm all right Jack", zero empathy, psycho!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Blimey, that's a gloomy view .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 01:17 PM

Rishi Sunak's post-furlough plan: At-a-glance

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54277943

Even the summary is complex - I think those who have an interest will have to comb through various articles for the relevant information ......

Coronavirus: How is furlough changing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52135342

Rishi Sunak unveils emergency jobs scheme

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54280966
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There were a lot of 'none jobs' out there all those coffee shop chains dozens on each high street that just diluted the business and contribute to obesity.

Sorry some have lost their jobs but people made a choice to work there and we have to grit our teeth and not moan about the choices we have made in life.
A bit bloody selfish and 'I'm alright Jack' sounding if I may say so .... I doubt anyone who works in a coffee shop and needs their wage to pay a mortgage or rear a family will feel much comforted by your lofty sentiment when they face redundancy. A job is a job. It pays the bills. Not everyone can be fussy.

After a quick peek at Sunak's brainchild ... I think it sucks.

Between Covid and Sunak.. the work ethic has been completely destroyed.
The original furlough was too high ... far too high and has built up a load of debt to deal with.
To extend it is madness.
If sectors of the economy are to survive or fall due to Covid Sunak shouldn't try and play the generous benefactor promising gifts of largesse to some but not all.
It's looks insincere to bail out some and leave others to sink. It's a divisive policy and will only create trouble.

He's letting down the self-employed.

My business has taken a severe knock. I'm a cleaner .. an office cleaner and when they're all working from home they're not bothered about a dusty office. It'll be interesting to see what work I have left by the end of all this.
I'd have been considerably better of as an employee. Even a barista.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
A bit bloody selfish and 'I'm alright Jack' sounding if I may say so .... I doubt anyone who works in a coffee shop and needs their wage to pay a mortgage or rear a family will feel much comforted by your lofty sentiment when they face redundancy. A job is a job. It pays the bills. Not everyone can be fussy.

After a quick peek at Sunak's brainchild ... I think it sucks.

Between Covid and Sunak.. the work ethic has been completely destroyed.
The original furlough was too high ... far too high and has built up a load of debt to deal with.
To extend it is madness.
If sectors of the economy are to survive or fall due to Covid Sunak shouldn't try and play the generous benefactor promising gifts of largesse to some but not all.
It's looks insincere to bail out some and leave others to sink. It's a divisive policy and will only create trouble.

He's letting down the self-employed.

My business has taken a severe knock. I'm a cleaner .. an office cleaner and when they're all working from home they're not bothered about a dusty office. It'll be interesting to see what work I have left by the end of all this.
I'd have been considerably better of as an employee. Even a barista.
Hi

Have you not had the money from the first bailout?

My cleaner took a huge hit, single mum and when the schools closed she was in a mess.

She did get some money, not a lot, but some.

She is picking up more work now from those working at home.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:12 PM

Yes Swims ... I got the seiss payment .. but a drop down to 20% isn't much use. It's always the same for self-employed though ... always overlooked by the government.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Yes Swims ... I got the seiss payment .. but a drop down to 20% isn't much use. It's always the same for self-employed though ... always overlooked by the government.

Hi

So pleased you got it.

You are right, the self employed have suffered far more than others.

I managed to get my cleaner a load of work from others working from home who can now claim it as an expense,

The local solicitors etc do not miss a trick.

The rich always prosper.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-10-2020, 12:49 AM

Rushed-through furlough scheme may have led to the loss of billions of pounds of taxpayers' money through fraud and error, MPs have warned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54563494

There was an "astonishing lack of economic planning for a pandemic" which led to "hastily drawn up economic support schemes", the Commons Public Accounts Committee said. That meant "unacceptable room for fraud against taxpayers," it added.

According to the latest figures, the government scheme sent £39.3bn to 1.2 million employers to the 20 September. A recent estimate by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) suggested that up to 10% of the money delivered by the scheme to mid-August - £3.5bn - may have been paid out in fraud or error.

The Commons Public Accounts Committee, which reviews government expenditure, described the figure as "very worrying".

"The government should have been better prepared for the economic fall-out from the coronavirus outbreak, as a pandemic has been top of the national risk register for years", Committee chair Meg Hillier said. "Our finding of the astonishing lack of economic planning for a pandemic shows how the unacceptable room for fraud against taxpayers was allowed into the government's hastily drawn up economic support schemes. I would like to see the government publish a list of the companies which received furlough money. Where taxpayers money is being used, transparency should be a given."
Another government shambles which is going to cost the ordinary taxpayer dear .....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-10-2020, 05:41 AM

Hi

It is called minimum wage for a reason.

You cannot live on 66% of it.

Pay day loans etc are going to make a mint.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top