Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 12:51 AM

Re: UK and Japan Trade Deal Agreed

I think Solasch is right the Japan UK agreement is peanuts, considering the population size of Japan and market value the agreement is fine but not worth much in practical terms. It does have the hallmarks of a rubber stamp agreement matching the existing one with the EU.

I was looking at the figures for the UK Australia Agreement under negotiation at the moment.

UK market snapshot
  • The UK’s GDP was $2.74 trillion in 2019.
  • The population of the UK is 66.4 million.
  • 1.17 million people born in the UK were living in Australia in 2019.
  • In 2018-19, Australia’s total two way trade in goods and services across all trading partners, was $891.6 billion, of which the UK was $30.3 billion.
  • The UK is Australia’s second largest source of foreign investment, with foreign direct investment valued at $127.1 billion in 2019.
  • The UK is Australia’s third-largest services trading partner, accounting for 7.7% ($15.2 billion) of our total services trade in 2018-19.
  • The UK is Australia’s 12th largest goods trading partner, worth $15.1 billion in 2018-19.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreem...ukfta/benefits

Australia has had an FTA with Japan since 2015, the outcomes are here:

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreem...es-at-a-glance

I think they are pretty big benefits especially for agricuture. BTW negotiations commenced in 2007 and were concluded in 2014, there is nothing quick about these deals.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think Solasch is right the Japan UK agreement is peanuts, considering the population size of Japan and market value the agreement is fine but not worth much in practical terms. It does have the hallmarks of a rubber stamp agreement matching the existing one with the EU.

I was looking at the figures for the UK Australia Agreement under negotiation at the moment.

UK market snapshot
  • In 2018-19, Australia’s total two way trade in goods and services across all trading partners, was $891.6 billion, of which the UK was $30.3 billion.
  • The UK is Australia’s second largest source of foreign investment, with foreign direct investment valued at $127.1 billion in 2019.
  • The UK is Australia’s third-largest services trading partner, accounting for 7.7% ($15.2 billion) of our total services trade in 2018-19.
  • The UK is Australia’s 12th largest goods trading partner, worth $15.1 billion in 2018-19.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreem...ukfta/benefits

I think they are pretty big benefits especially for agricuture. BTW negotiations commenced in 2007 and were concluded in 2014, there is nothing quick about these deals.
Japan is the 3rd biggest economy in the world and your assuming everything will stay the same.

It won't.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 03:43 AM

Its amazing we got the same deal as the EU didn't they tell us that outside the EU we would never get the same trading arrangements? Whether or not it was based on a previous deal is of no consequence the fact is we have a deal and if the EU or any other country is paving the way for us to independently piggy back on previously negotiated deals as an independent country so much the better.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Japan is the 3rd biggest economy in the world and your assuming everything will stay the same.

It won't.
I am not assuming anything, I am going by the figures you quoted.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 09:17 AM

I am not assuming anything, I am going by the figures you quoted.

Your using the status quo to form your opinion of future tarrif free trade between the UK and Japan. There never was that while we were a member of the EU.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Hi

The agreed deal almost exactly mirrors what we already have as part of the EU.
There are minor alterations with regard to Blue Cheese exports and the location of servers.

No great shakes.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:01 AM

UK market snapshot

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreem...ukfta/benefits source source source source

Seems uk is responsible for a large part of your prosperity then
Brucy from those figures??

Donkeyman! 👍🤔🤔👍
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Seems uk is responsible for a large part of your prosperity then
Brucy from those figures??

Donkeyman! 👍🤔🤔👍
Yes Assman, though I wouldn't say a large part, China, India and the US are responsible for the majority of our wealth but the UK will doubtless be a greater part if we get a satisfactory trade deal.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Its amazing we got the same deal as the EU didn't they tell us that outside the EU we would never get the same trading arrangements? Whether or not it was based on a previous deal is of no consequence the fact is we have a deal and if the EU or any other country is paving the way for us to independently piggy back on previously negotiated deals as an independent country so much the better.
It also works the other way around. If, as claimed, in the deal japan offers theUK better conditions, japan is obliged to offer the EU the same conditions.

Article 2.8
4. Where a Party grants a larger or faster tariff reduction, higher quota or any other more
favourable treatment than that provided for under this Agreement to a third country based on an
international agreement for goods covered by paragraph 3 which affects the balance in the European
Union's or Japan's market of such goods, the Parties shall, with a view to ensuring that the other
Party obtains at least the same preference, commence such a review within three months of the date
of entry into force of the international agreement between the European Union and that third
country or between Japan and that third country, and will conduct the review with the aim of
concluding it within six months of the same date.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Hi

I am all for Leaving.

Just fed up with all the lies from Boris.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top