Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 08:58 PM

Re: Mrs Sturgeon, did you not hear the result?

Originally Posted by May ->
You're entitled to Your opinion Hen,but as I've said...There's nothing to discuss..YET...And I know from the experience here this time last Year,most of the replies You will get will Be from Those who hate Scotlands first Lady Minister and the SNP...Carry on..I won't be participating.
May, I hope you understand that I have absolutely no axe to grind with regard to the Scottish. I have lots of cousins born in Dunfries who all voted for Independence.
What I am annoyed about is that woman can't seem to accept the decision made by the majority. She reminds me of the mandarins of the EU who, when countries such as Ireland voted NON, they came back at them within an obscene short time for a second vote after offering them bribes, Britain pleaded with them to vote NO again but they ignored our pleas and after as I said, being offered bribes by the the EU, they went against all sensible advice, and we all know what happened to them after that. As well as being able to say "We told you so, we had to also bail them out with millions from the UK". I can see it all happening again if Nicola Sturgeon leads you blindly into voting for Independence. There will be no help for poor Scotland though as there was for Ireland. You will be on your own with your EU masters as your paymasters. One only has to think of the scenes of Greece coming to mind. That is why I genuinely mean it when I say she will lead you down the path of ruin.
Of course this is only my opinion. As I say, it is up to the people of Scotland to make their decision but it shouldn't be for at least another decade!. I just think she should shut up and get on with the decision that has only been taken just 12 months ago.

May, can I also just say, if any posters start insulting the Scottish people, although they can't see you, just stick your middle finger up at them This topic was started regarding Nicola's constant bellyaching about Independence, not a them and us situation. I have the utmost respect for the intelligence of the Scottish population to make the decision that they want for themselves when the time comes. !
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Is it just me or does anyone else feel as though they would like to shove the largest Bramley cooking apple they could find and shove it into Nicola Sturgeon's mouth to shut her up !!!

My apologies to our Scottish cousins over the border for that remark above, it is not meant as a slur against the lovely Scots people, but as an English person, I feel great resentment that she is again spouting off about another Scottish referendum for Independence. What arrogance of the woman! Is she living on a different planet?
Hello, you deranged woman, the Scots voted 55% to 45% to stay in the Union. The perks you received, courtesy of the taxpayers of England I recall, ensured that the sensible people of Scotland decided that they were better off with us than on their own. So live with it!!

Personally, I would love Scotland to gain their independence if that is the road they wish to take. It would without doubt, see the downfall of that woman! She is determined to see Scotland on it's knees. Her stupid boast about "Scottish Oil"belonging to Scotland would have seen to that if she had won the day, as we saw after the election with thousands losing their jobs in the oil industry.

Again, how dare this arrogant person threaten the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom that "he is living on borrowed time" with regard to another referendum. It is not down to her, it is down to the Scottish people, This woman won''t be satisfied until she sees official border crossings on the motorway between England and Scotland.

Discuss please....
I am Scottish and I totally agree with you . The people of Scotland voted No , end of .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
I am Scottish and I totally agree with you . The people of Scotland voted No , end of .
That is no longer true. Since Cameron has yet again reneged on his promise to give Scotland the Devo Max powers he said he would prior to the referendum, then a second referendum is almost inevitable.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
That is no longer true. Since Cameron has yet again reneged on his promise to give Scotland the Devo Max powers he said he would prior to the referendum, then a second referendum is almost inevitable.
UJ, What Devo Max powers has he reneged on?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
UJ, What Devo Max powers has he reneged on?

Nicola doesn't have the full powers Cameron promised the Scots would get, like the ability to raise their own tax revenue and to keep ALL of the tax revenue raised in Scotland. There were promises made by Cameron et al prior to the referendum.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

20-09-2015, 08:38 PM

Thanks UJ, it’s difficult to keep up with the news up there sometimes apart from when I come across Nicola being her usual arrogant self on our screens.
Most of the news I get by the earful when talking to my avid SNP supporting cousins.
The gist of what I’ve been told (and please correct me if I’m wrong) is that Scotland, with their decision to stay with the Union now have the power to set their own Income Tax thresholds and Rates of all money earned. Keep 50% of Scottish revenues, Set their own Air Passenger taxes, Tax companies extracting all aggregates used in Construction and keep the Barnett Formula grant which pays for all it’s public services, especially parts of the Welfare and Benefit system which although now will cost Scotland more, will still be subsidised by the rest of the UK because of the Barnett Formula grant. Also I understand that as of April this year Scotland is now able to borrow an extra 10% of it’s capped budget every year (about £300million).

I don’t know if I’ve missed anything out but if I have it doesn’t detract from the fact that Scotland have not done badly out of the election at all have they? One good thing that I can see from the above is at least now Nicola will have to take full responsibility and be accountable to the Scottish taxpayers for any and all economic decisions taken!. Still, When one compares the powers they have gained compared to Wales and Northern Ireland !!

The one thing I truly hope for though is that call-me-dave keeps his word and before sealing any of the powers promised to Scotland,he announces the promise he made to the people of England that he would at the same time, give the English people our own wish. The right for ONLY English MP’s to deal with matters pertaining to ONLY England without the inclusion of Scottish MP’s. They have been given the powers to deal with matters of the Scottish people, that is what they asked for and that is where it should end. We here south of your border deserve the same respect to have only our own English MP's deal with matters that are of absolutely no concern of Scotland.No more should we have to tolerate such unfairness as Scottish MP's being used to up the numbers such as voting for Student fees for English Students studying in England when this had nothing to do with Scotland where your own students studying at Universities in Scotland have the luxury of not paying any fees for their own education. The flimsy excuse by the SNP that it will lead to a two-tier Parliament will no longer wash with the English population. Any U-turn by our Prime Minister will be a step too far because of his promise to accord fairness to the English people at the same time he honours the recommendations of the Smith report. He had better keep his promise !!

Forgive me if the above sounds like a them and us theme, I should perhaps have said North of the border and South of the border rather than mention England and Scotland.
I'll leave that to the football in future!! Peace !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top