Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 12:15 AM

Re: The EU Keeping the Peace (well, not actually)

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Check out Nord Stream 2
What about it?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 12:46 AM

The theory is that nations do not wish to wage war on one another, not that they are a defence alliance or policeman for other countries.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
THEY ARE TWO SOVEREIGN NATIONS. What part of that don't you understand?????
Not quite ...

The ECJ is the highest authority for the member states the ECJ makes the rules and enforces the law - the EU should be intervening as a broker when two of its member states are at each other's throats
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What about it?

Germany's new gas pipe from Russia. Another snub to the USA to allow them to rely on Russia for their gas and not buy it from America.

The EU is separating itself from the USA at an alarming rate ... here come more tarrifs from the USA.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 11:37 AM

Not quite ...

The ECJ is the highest authority for the member states the ECJ makes the rules and enforces the law - the EU should be intervening as a broker when two of its member states are at each other's throats
Why do I bother??? The ECJ do not make the law. The Commission enforces.
Catalan and Spain are not two separate states.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 12:01 PM

Germany's new gas pipe from Russia. Another snub to the USA to allow them to rely on Russia for their gas and not buy it from America.

The EU is separating itself from the USA at an alarming rate ... here come more tarrifs from the USA.
That's fine by me.

I'd trust the US (and Russia) much sooner than trust the EU.

I suppose some would wonder whether the EU hopes to take over Russia or Russia would take over the EU!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Why do I bother??? The ECJ do not make the law. The Commission enforces.
Catalan and Spain are not two separate states.

You claimed that the EU is responsible for keeping the peace in the EU. I have outlined two areas where this is not the case.

Firstly, I said that it is not the EU that has kept the peace (when it comes to conflict) it has been NATO.

I then gave another 2 examples where "peace" has not been kept within the EU itself. One which is in a single member state - Spain, where Catalonia held (albeit an illegal) referendum which ended up in violence between the voters and the police, and arrest warrants for elected ministers (including the PM - Puigdemont).

The second example I gave was between 2 separate member states, France and Italy, where Italy is publicly supporting the Giles Jaune movement in France, which has resulted in Paris (and other areas of France) burning every weekend for the past 13 weeks and protesters being dismembered, the French police being seen with loaded assault rifles, cars on fire, petrol bombs thrown etc etc.

You claim the EU is keeping the peace. Its done nothing.

My point was that if the EU was to keep the peace (looking at the big picture) in the EU, would it not be reasonable for it to broker talks between the two conflicting member states (or regions in the case of Spain / Catalonia). The reason I ask is because the EU and the EU commission is what all member states are governed by (i.e. the ECJ).

Does that now make sense ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 12:49 PM

You claimed that the EU is responsible for keeping the peace in the EU. I have outlined two areas where this is not the case.

Firstly, I said that it is not the EU that has kept the peace (when it comes to conflict) it has been NATO.

I then gave another 2 examples where "peace" has not been kept within the EU itself. One which is in a single member state - Spain, where Catalonia held (albeit an illegal) referendum which ended up in violence between the voters and the police, and arrest warrants for elected ministers (including the PM - Puigdemont).

The second example I gave was between 2 separate member states, France and Italy, where Italy is publicly supporting the Giles Jaune movement in France, which has resulted in Paris (and other areas of France) burning every weekend for the past 13 weeks and protesters being dismembered, the French police being seen with loaded assault rifles, cars on fire, petrol bombs thrown etc etc.

You claim the EU is keeping the peace. Its done nothing.

My point was that if the EU was to keep the peace (looking at the big picture) in the EU, would it not be reasonable for it to broker talks between the two conflicting member states (or regions in the case of Spain / Catalonia). The reason I ask is because the EU and the EU commission is what all member states are governed by (i.e. the ECJ).

Does that now make sense ?

Hi

Your post does not make sense to me as you misunderstand the role of the ECJ and also it's powers.

One of my reasons for voting leave was because of our stupidity in referring things voluntarily to the ECJ when there is no need to do so.

This is called taking back control, something we should never have given away in the first place.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Your post does not make sense to me as you misunderstand the role of the ECJ and also it's powers.

One of my reasons for voting leave was because of our stupidity in referring things voluntarily to the ECJ when there is no need to do so.

This is called taking back control, something we should never have given away in the first place.

What bit of the role of the ECJ and its powers do you disagree with me with ?

(not being funny, I'm just not sure what I put that you don't agree with) ..

Thanks

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top