Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

I'd be very sorry to see the UK break up but I would respect and understand why they did it if they decide to go. I would also be careful if I were them as the plans so far seem to depend on the EU and there is no proof I have seen the EU would actually step forward to embrace them.

I haven't been up to scotland for many years but when I was up there they have many many pluses and very few minuses. they could make a go of it themselves if they really wanted to I am sure.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Thankyou Julie, for once someone positive. To be honest Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales are all of very different Culture and ideas. I think we should (if we all want) be able to stay United but each take care of it's own business, I see no reason why Westminster should hold the purse strings for everyone, or make the rules for us all. What goes on in London is different from the other 3 Countries and most of the time it doesn't suit. Scotland was not 100% to remain in the EU, far from it, should we become independent The SNP might just find they have big trouble on their hands if they tried to take us back into the EU. Also the SNP may just find themselves voted out after Independence, there are 4 other main parties up here who all want to be the ones running things.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Thankyou Julie, for once someone positive. To be honest Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales are all of very different Culture and ideas. I think we should (if we all want) be able to stay United but each take care of it's own business, I see no reason why Westminster should hold the purse strings for everyone, or make the rules for us all. What goes on in London is different from the other 3 Countries and most of the time it doesn't suit. Scotland was not 100% to remain in the EU, far from it, should we become independent The SNP might just find they have big trouble on their hands if they tried to take us back into the EU. Also the SNP may just find themselves voted out after Independence, there are 4 other main parties up here who all want to be the ones running things.
Check out the Daily Wail, today.

Scotland spends £12.6 BILLION more than it generates in tax

That article explains why Westminster is entitled to call the tune.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Check out the Daily Wail, today.

Scotland spends £12.6 BILLION more than it generates in tax

That article explains why Westminster is entitled to call the tune.
Well now if Scotland wasn't paying Westminster billions in service charges there wouldn't be any need for tune calling.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Well now if Scotland wasn't paying Westminster billions in service charges there wouldn't be any need for tune calling.
It's very valid point that you make but I guess that if Scotland was to be left to its own devices to provide the same services that Westminster presently provides and the advantage of being part of the whole package would result in higher costs. After all Scotland benefits from all the things that the UK does and that must be factored in.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

21-08-2019, 05:32 PM

Maybe A.T. Maybe. But personally I feel Scotland leaving the UK is along the lines of the UK leaving the EU without a deal. It will be tough at the start but things will change and decisions made and life got on with.
It's wait and see for all of us.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:21 PM

I think that as a 'whole' the UK chose to escape the shackles of the EU, that should be honoured. If, after we've left, Scotland wants to escape the shackles of Westminster they should have another referendum to decide if they wish to do so. If they do want to stand on their own (and why shouldn't they) all ties to the rest of the UK can be severed. If at some stage they want to be once again shackled to the EU, they could have another referendum to decide.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If at some stage they want to be once again shackled to the EU, they could have another referendum to decide.

But it won't be for Scotland to decide and the EU will say no.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
First thing is they would not have access to our national health, they would have to sort something out to cover Scottish peoples health. Looks like private medical insurance.
They would have to train up their own medical staff or employ from abroad

Hospitals would have to be supported by the Scottish government as would schools and social care and police and other official departments such as local councils.

To cross the border by train road or air would mean passport controls

The Submarine base would be moved to the south coast,we would not want a foreign country services our naval defence

Of course this means the Scottish people would be more heavily taxed to cover the cost with less work available.

this is just to mention a few things that they won't have

So in truth I just cannot understand why they want independence , please enlighten me. You can bet the EU won't bale them out

That's all piffle.

The Scots have their own health service as it is a devolved matter.

The Police and Education are devolved matters as is Local Government and the legal system.........as is Transport!

Also welfare and benefits are devolved..........as is Income Tax

Tbh there is not a lot that isn't.

The Naval base at Rosyth you refer to would be leased as Scotland would be a friendly nation and they would make good money from that.

I bet the EU WOULD aid Scotland's independence bid.

However, I believe there is a SILENT majority in Scotland in favour of continued UNION........
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
The Naval base at Rosyth you refer to would be leased as Scotland would be a friendly nation and they would make good money from that.

The Nuclear submarine base is actually at Faslane on the Clyde not the yard at Rosyth

I bet the EU WOULD aid Scotland's independence bid.

Not so sure, Spain definitely wouldn't be happy

However, I believe there is a SILENT majority in Scotland in favour of continued UNION........

Yes and it's a growing majority

btw the Scottish legal system was separate before devolution

five characters to make forum software happy.

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top