Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Then there are "Birds", lets not go there.
Salt didn't work for you either
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:29 AM

I can't confirm that sprinkling salt on a birds tail stops it from flying as believing every word a beloved uncle who had assured me that if I sprinkled some salt from the little blue twist you always got in a packet of Smiths crisp I would be able to hold and stroke a sparrow. He said sparrow because a pigeon was a big ask for a little un to aim for.

If I told you how many sparrows I chased, crept up on, tip toed around and even belly crawled to get that sprinkle of salt on a tail you would be amazed.

Despite many attempts and tellings off my uncle got "to stop egging the child on" he carried on always in the hope some fluke would happen and that I would eventually catch one. Never did but a nice memory of innocent fun with a lovely man.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Funny enough Solo it was my old uncle Dave who told me as a child about the salt and the birds too. As the old song goes,
"Sure you might as well go chasing after rainbows, or light a penny candle from a star"

I remember some years ago we had a short discussion about “Birds” Spitty, the human kind, one lady was disgusted by the term, naturally I apologised saying no offence was meant to any member of the fairer sex, it was used with affection in these Isles all through the 60’s/70’s, besides I thought being “paired’ by title to the grace and beauty of a bird was a good thing, I mean If I was a bird and someone called me a bird I’d be delighted, far better than being called a pig or a cow which I’ve often heard some birds called, and by other birds too.

God is there no end to that Peloton ad for the static exercise bike, they’re really pushing it hard, and what’s with the big screen in front of you, so you can watch yourself having a heart attack in HD? especially when you get the bill.
Have you seen the price of them, 2,250 quid!!

solo
UK

23-08-2019, 09:37 AM

They are really flogging that Pelaton (French for platoon).... odd word to use though as it means riders in a group saving energy by riding close by drafting or slipstreaming near or behind other riders...so a wide HD screen in front of you can't be the same as loads of jiggling bums doing you a favour..Can it!

Another word but heaven knows where you could chuck this into a conversation.. Tintinnabulation. Fabulous though isn't it.

Apparently The Oxford Electric Bell has been ringing almost continuously since 1840. Due to electrostatic force, the clapper is first attracted to and then repelled by each bell in turn, so it’s been ringing them alternately for 179 years.

The bell has produced about 10 billion rings to date. It holds the Guinness World Record as “the world’s most durable battery [delivering] wait for it... ceaseless tintinnabulation.”

Gives a whole new meaning to batteries not included
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 02:16 PM

“Ceaseless tintinnabulation” the sound of that is torture in itself.
The nearest I heard to that strange word was “Rin Tin Tin the dog. I suppose one could say “ I had Rintintinadulation, I was the dogs number1 fan”

Yes some bell that. 10 billion rings, i reckon I’ve clocked up about 10,000 rings (including many claddagh ring castings) in my working life, should I get a Gong/Dong for that do you think?

Batteries, I can never trust anything that uses batteries only for power, I just know we are being conned out of billions by the battery companies, there is, there has to be, a years lasting battery system out there, but why should they kill the goose that laid them the golden egg? We have battery hens, they have a battery goose?

“She was the belle of New York
She powdered her gearbox with chalk”
That used to have me puzzled and it took me a while to find out what it meant until a fella from New York told me gear box was slang for face, God forgive me I thought it was something else altogether.
Wonder what’s New York slang for handkerchief…probably windscreen wiper, Americans are really obsessed with their cars ain’t they, but I suppose it's historical like from the days of horse transport, a man's horse was vital to his getting around and if you stole a man's horse you were strung up, it was worse that shooting his Mother.

That prompted another old chestnut.

solo
UK

23-08-2019, 04:31 PM

When my grandma moved from Ireland to live in England her wedding ring was a sturdy silver claddagh. At that time knowing they may get a rough ride being Irish she was advised to get a gold band but refused simply saying "claddagh or no claddagh they would soon find out the minute I opened my mouth where I'm from and no gold band can alter that so my claddagh stays where it is".

I wear her ring now as only being silver no one else wanted it but I like its simplicity, it's history and the link it has to a very funny lady.

Thanks for that Rowan and Martins Laugh in clip. Their show was one of the best for one liners, clever wit and the many stars it attracted.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 10:38 AM

Hi Scribblers, ain't been around much lately, been building my "Home Office", get some cash back off the Revenue, couple of pics, just for Sweetie.

Roof is now on, been to fetch the last of the clay tiles this morning, I've now got a Dry Ridge.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-08-2019, 01:30 PM

Roof is now on, been to fetch the last of the clay tiles this morning, I've now got a Dry Ridge.
That’s good news Spitty, I thought the office, having not being mentioned in recent despatches, had been abandoned indefinitely and didn’t like to inquire any further, fair play to you you stuck with it and now have the roof on, now you can have a night on the TILES to celebrate.
Well done!

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-08-2019, 09:19 PM

As a lover of old films I was always fascinated by Klaus Kinski, that creepy looking German actor with the bulging eyes, I knew nothing about him so using Wikipedia I was able to find out a lot. It seems to me his own life was was as eventful as some of the parts he played. I have to say I was not surprised to read he had spent some time in a mental hospital.
I’m a curious old geezer about actors and films they were in, I’ve seen so many over the years, so Wikipedia is a godsend to me. I remember star names but nothing much else about them, now I can snoop away to my hearts content, the fact that so many of the men had their little peculiarities never took anything away for me from some of their brilliant performances on the screen.(I was very surprised to find out so many of the leading men were gay for example)

Here’s a snippet about Kinski from Wiki.
“During the Second World War, Kinski was conscripted at the age of 17 into the German Wehrmacht some time in 1943, and served with the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) as an elite paratrooper (Fallschirmjäger).[11] [12] He saw no action until the winter of 1944, when his unit was transferred to the Netherlands.[11] He was captured by the British on his second day of combat.[13]
Kinski gave a different version of events in his 1988 autobiography. He said that he made a conscious decision to desert; he had been captured by the Germans, court-martialed as a deserter and sentenced to death, but he escaped and hid in the woods. A British patrol opened fire on him, he was wounded in the arm and they took him captive. After being treated for his injuries and interrogated, Kinski was transferred to a prisoner of war camp in Britain. The ship transporting him was torpedoed by a German U-boat, but arrived safely. He was held at the prisoner of war "Camp 186" in Berechurch Hall in Colchester, Essex.[11][14]
There he played his first roles on stage, taking part in variety shows intended to maintain morale among the prisoners.[11][14] By May 1945, at the end of the war in Europe, the German POWs were anxious to return home. Kinski had heard that sick prisoners were to be returned first, and tried to qualify by standing outside naked at night, drinking urine and eating cigarettes. He remained healthy however, and was finally returned to Germany in 1946, after spending a year and four months in captivity”
He was never afraid to speak his mind, didn’t matter who he was talking to.
“Kinski refused the lead villain role of Major Arnold Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark, telling director Steven Spielberg, "This script is a yawn-making, boring pile of shit."

You tell him Klaus, it was only a job anyway.

Klaus, a popular name in Germany I believe, never came across a Klaus in Dublin, although theres a fair haired chap who visits the national childrens hospital every year called Sandy Klaus, he brings them toys and sweets, but he ain’t of German origin he’s just a good natured chimney sweep from Ballyfermot.

“Yawn making, boring pile of shit” I’d love to get the opportunity to use that one,, I think it’s brilliant, reminds of that ITV program that used to be on Sunday evenings in the 70’s “Stars on Sunday”

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 10:14 PM

Claddagh rings

Solo - it was lovely to read about your grandma having one for a wedding ring.

Jem - is there a story behind them?

One day I would like to have one - maybe next time I am home.

Does Ireland still mine silver/gold?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top