Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Re: Advice Please: The Great Flood of 2019

Surely you can claim on your house insurance policy? then the experts will be able to do the job for you
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 03:55 PM

Realspeed, good question. Homeowners insurance doesn't cover floods or flooded basements. Those policies are purchased separately. (I have them on my places in Florida). My parents decided long ago because of the elevation of their house, a flood policy wasn't worth the cost. Even with this hundred year event, the repairs are more inexpensive than the policy would have been.

Everything has been torn out and per Barry's helpful suggestion, we are testing the humidity before we commence putting it all back together again.

When I was twenty and we experienced our first hurricane, I felt totally helpless, looking at construction/plumbing/electrical work like it was a visual foreign language. I had no idea what was going on, so I had no idea whether or not the work was being correctly. My dad and brother have set me straight over the years teaching me countless skills and tips to reduce my ignorance.

When the great apocalypse comes, I can at least put a roof over my head and keep the car chugging along until the gas runs out .

Thanks again everyone. It's been a difficult but informative endeavor. I need a manicure though .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Realspeed, good question. Homeowners insurance doesn't cover floods or flooded basements. Those policies are purchased separately. (I have them on my places in Florida). My parents decided long ago because of the elevation of their house, a flood policy wasn't worth the cost. Even with this hundred year event, the repairs are more inexpensive than the policy would have been.

Everything has been torn out and per Barry's helpful suggestion, we are testing the humidity before we commence putting it all back together again.

When I was twenty and we experienced our first hurricane, I felt totally helpless, looking at construction/plumbing/electrical work like it was a visual foreign language. I had no idea what was going on, so I had no idea whether or not the work was being correctly. My dad and brother have set me straight over the years teaching me countless skills and tips to reduce my ignorance.

When the great apocalypse comes, I can at least put a roof over my head and keep the car chugging along until the gas runs out .

Thanks again everyone. It's been a difficult but informative endeavor. I need a manicure though .
Glad you are sorting things out surfer.

When the apocalypse happens, I'm coming to live with you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Glad you are sorting things out surfer.

When the apocalypse happens, I'm coming to live with you.
You are most welcome. Come bearing champagne .

The latest is that I now know how to install a sump pump. Not that I would ever need one in Florida, but it's an interesting piece of equipment.

What's even better is that I have discovered the wonderful world of dehumidifiers. What a brilliant piece of machinery! It is pulling about a gallon of water out of the room about every four hours. This thing is amazing!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top