Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 05:54 PM

And Another Thing

I can't get a Gas Central Heating Engineer to replace my Combi boiler as I have small bore pipes. They say the pipes will not work with a new Boiler
The radiators all work but the water boiler is thirty years old.
and the pipes go under concrete floors and at the back of built-in Wardrobes and some are boxed in as well.

Apparently, all the pipes need changing at a cost of £7.000.00 plus and will have to move furniture and move out

I think I will emigrate or try Electric Central Heating.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 06:45 PM

Re: And Another Thing

Microbore pipes have always been a bit of a nightmare, I have no idea why they were ever used.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Microbore should be fine with a combi.
How big is the house?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Microbore should be fine with a combi.
How big is the house?
5 Beds, Bathroom, Toilet, 2 Living Rooms, Kitchen, and downstairs toilet. Hallway & added back Porch .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:38 PM

Do you have a combi now, or a system boiler.
Can you look at the rads and see the size of the inlet pipes. Ie, do they look like 8mm or 15mm?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

06-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Do you have a combi now, or a system boiler.
Can you look at the rads and see the size of the inlet pipes. Ie, do they look like 8mm or 15mm?
The pipes are 15mm with combi
I only put hot water on for two hours daily in case it is going to leak or burst.
So hoping for a solution before next Winter.

It is a1950's House quite modern at the time, with a flat roof which needs replacing every ten years.
The local Builder keeps frightening me saying it will cost £20.000.00 for a new Tiled Roof.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
The pipes are 15mm with combi
I only put hot water on for two hours daily in case it is going to leak or burst.
So hoping for a solution before next Winter.
15mm is fine. I'm not sure what he is talking about tbh. I thought you meant 8 or 10 mm. As Fender says, it can still be used with a combi.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

06-06-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
15mm is fine. I'm not sure what he is talking about tbh. I thought you meant 8 or 10 mm. As Fender says, it can still be used with a combi.
I will get some more estimates

British Gas say they can't do it and I dont' really want them as they overcharge.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

06-06-2019, 08:30 PM

British Gas say they can't do it and I dont' really want them as they overcharge.
Yes, to be fair, we don't know the full story here but I would try some others if I were you azure. Same with your toilet.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

06-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Deffo get other prices, they're taking the pi$$.
As per Longy - 15mm is no prob, and a combi is fine with only one bathroom. Unless they know something we don't, no way the pipework needs replacing.

Go for something like a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 38CDi Classic. That will have the capacity for your house and a good boiler.

Let us know how it goes - don't get ripped....

Edit.
I was the service & contracts manager for a heating and cooling company for years, so I know the score with this stuff and how companies take the pee........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top