Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 06:40 PM

Re: Fingerprint Access

My phone uses facial recognition..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
In case you are not aware, today is 16 July 2019. Your passport must be have been invalid for at least 3 years!
Hmmm 2019 minus 2006 = 3yrs?!!

Why would my passport be invalid ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
So does mine but Customs and Immigration at the airport have enough trouble with beards so I suspect my phone might too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
I take it that you never travel outside the UK then as fingerprinting has been a requirement for passports since 2006.
Malaysia and Thailand have finger print scanning at their borders which they then associate with your passport but it is optical scanning not capacitive.

Best not to confuse poor old Realist with anything vaguely scientific because he gets out of his depth pretty quickly - his area of expertise is the tin foil hat wearing, fruit loop, conspiracy theory mumbo jumbo. Best not to take him too far outside his comfort zone.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Mine does too, but that also means adding a crack to the screen every time I use it!

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Best not to confuse poor old Realist
I'm not the least bit confused. It is CoffeeCake that appears to be oblivious to the true situation.

Within the EU the UK (because of its Schengen opt-out) and Ireland and Denmark are able to opt out of fingerprinting .

So no, my passport is not the least bit invalid and I have been happily cruising for the past 10+ years all over the world. Some countries insist on a fingerprint passport, I'm happy not to visit those places. I have no interest at all in going to Dubai for example !

Something of interest to those who realise that this is all "bagging and tagging" to create a population ID database, is that the fingerprint info isn't actually used for the purpose stated. See here:

The white elephant in your passport: EU borders have never checked a fingerprint

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2017/1...e-fingerprint/

"Compulsory fingerprinting was introduced in 2009 across the European Union as part of the new biometric passport, which was intended to improve border security. The measure aimed to stop ‘lookalike fraud’, whereby somebody travels on the passport of someone who strongly resembles them."

"Dutch local authorities have spent €32 million installing 4,800 scanners which have taken 20 million prints in the last eight years. But according to an investigation by NOS, border control agencies are still unable to use them to verify passengers."

"European nations have not yet agreed on a way to share access to the ‘key’ – the digital signature that allows other countries’ border guards to read their fingerprint information – making the exercise redundant."

"The Dutch interior ministry admitted to NOS that it had not shared its ‘key’ with any other country or received the necessary information from any foreign government."

"Schiphol airport also said that its machinery for reading fingerprints had never been tested for security – and so cannot be used."

Nuff said . . . .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 10:12 PM

Passports don't seem to be a requirement for some when they flood en-mass across Europe's borders without let or hindrance or nip across the Med or the Channel in a rubber boat hoping to be picked up by we suckers. Obviously, with no passport or point of origin, we can't send the blighters back from whence they came.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top