Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:19 AM

Re: Why Does My Internet Go Off At 21.45, Every Night?

TalkTalk's advice about turning off your router is exactly the same advice I get - routinely - from Virgin when I have a problem. Every time, their first suggestion is "turn off the router for two minutes"! It might work, and it's something you can do yourself right now.

Advice for you to contact TalkTalk and ask for a new router is very sound. I complained to Virgin and got their latest router free of charge, of course.

The strange thing, in my mind, is why the thing goes off at exactly the same time every evening. As you asked, a neighbour could conceivably be making use of your connection if, perhaps, you don't have a strong password, but I don't think that would turn off your connection. It could slow it down a bit, but going off completely at 9.30pm (or whatever) is something I'd be interested to learn the cause of.

EDIT:
Be firm, but polite. TalkTalk, like any other supplier, will do all they can to keep your custom. If they fail to do so, you have every right to go to a different supplier. Look here:
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/?g...SAAEgJOEvD_BwE
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have just rung TalkTalk. He needed to test the line, so he rang me on my mobile phone.
He told me to go and make a cup of tea whilst he ran a test on my BT phone line. He said, it would take about 6 minutes

After this time he came back on and said, they needed to run a diagnostic test but this would take up to 3 hours and could l ring back at around 1pm.

He said, there was a problem with my internet but they needed more time to run the test. Also, my TalkTalk router was 4 years old and not a very good one.

Mmmn, l hope, it will be sorted soon. The last time this happened, l didn’t have the internet for over 3 weeks.
Even if there is an external problem, a new router has got to be a priority .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I'm with BT and I had a similar problem which turned out to be the router.

Just had another problem with very slow speeds and not being able to connect to the router on my Win 10 laptop or my ipad (but, strangely, Win 7 laptop was fine) and that also seemed to be a router problem.

My friend is with Talk Talk, she's had drop out problems, intermittent connection etc and they said it was her router.

However......my friend is a total technophobe, has no idea about internet and they managed to flog her fibre, which she really doesn't need, obviously at an increased cost.

So watch them, they're crafty.
Thank You, Nicol.

I think, it may be the router?

I cannot change what l have with TalkTalk as my ex partner pays for my internet. I don’t want to contact him as he is married now.
Luckily, after a lot of explaining and begging to TalkTalk, they will now converse with me. They wouldn’t before, as l am not the account holder.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
A friend of min had a similar problem and one that proved very difficult for BT to resolve. However, one day when his internet cut out he was at his study desk looking out of the window. As it cut out the street lamp outside his house came on. The next night exactly the same. BT checked it out and that proved to be the problem, a small 'box of tricks' where the overhead telephone cable came into the house solved the problem.

Apparently that type of magnetic field (I think that's what it was) is not uncommon. Although the time element is not usually present when it's down to something like a microwave oven or any of the other devices within homes these days. BT engineers usually check things out with one of their meters. I had similar problems at one time but it was the overhead telephone line where it had been worn through by tree branches rubbing on it.
Thank You, Baz, It’s funny you should say that, as there are overhead telephone lines on the verge right outside my house. There are trees all along that side too.
So that might be a factor in all this?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
TalkTalk's advice about turning off your router is exactly the same advice I get - routinely - from Virgin when I have a problem. Every time, their first suggestion is "turn off the router for two minutes"! It might work, and it's something you can do yourself right now.

Advice for you to contact TalkTalk and ask for a new router is very sound. I complained to Virgin and got their latest router free of charge, of course.

The strange thing, in my mind, is why the thing goes off at exactly the same time every evening. As you asked, a neighbour could conceivably be making use of your connection if, perhaps, you don't have a strong password, but I don't think that would turn off your connection. It could slow it down a bit, but going off completely at 9.30pm (or whatever) is something I'd be interested to learn the cause of.

EDIT:
Be firm, but polite. TalkTalk, like any other supplier, will do all they can to keep your custom. If they fail to do so, you have every right to go to a different supplier. Look here:

This^^
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:36 AM

Thank You, Baz, It’s funny you should say that, as there are overhead telephone lines on the verge right outside my house. There are trees all along that side too.
So that might be a factor in all this?
But that would suggest the trees cause a break, temporary perhaps, in your phone line but the naughty trees wouldn't know to do that at 9.30pm every night!

My mother-in-law is with TalkTalk and, apparently, has had a great deal of help from them, though she's very good at playing the helpless 90 year-old dear!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-07-2019, 10:39 AM

EDIT:
JBR, l am forever turning off the router and restarting it after a few minutes. It’s become a way of life, lately!
I haven’t done the needle in the little hole in the back yet to reset it.

The password for my internet, is the one TalkTalk provided when l got my current router 4 years ago. It isn’t one someone could guess easily.

When, l reboot it, a load of other internet names come up on my iPad or mobile phone. ie Sky, I just presume these are people over the way on another road.
I do recognise one name on there who l know.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-07-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Even if there is an external problem, a new router has got to be a priority .....
Yes! Omah, definitely! A nice swanky, all bells and whistles router!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-07-2019, 10:45 AM

But that would suggest the trees cause a break, temporary perhaps, in your phone line but the naughty trees wouldn't know to do that at 9.30pm every night!

My mother-in-law is with TalkTalk and, apparently, has had a great deal of help from them, though she's very good at playing the helpless 90 year-old dear!
JBR, Yes, they do! My trees can tell the time! We have very intelligent trees in my road!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-07-2019, 10:56 AM

When, l reboot it, a load of other internet names come up on my iPad or mobile phone. ie Sky, I just presume these are people over the way on another road.
I do recognise one name on there who l know.
That doesn't mean that any of those people can hack into your WiFi, just as you can't hack into theirs, assuming that they have passwords too!

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top