Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 11:51 PM

Beach donkeys

Watching the tea time news tonight, I felt sort of half angry, and half sad.

There was a bit on about this intense heat, and lots of pictures of all the families flocking to the coast and playing about on beaches.
Then I saw the poor beach ponies and donkeys being made to walk up and down, up and down, all day long, having to give kids rides in blazing hot sun. You could see the poor things flagging.

I do wish this would stop.
Those animals need to be able to stand in the shade in the hottest part of the day.
They should be able to stand under trees with cool water to drink, instead of roasting on burning hot sand, with kids kicking their ribs for hours and hours each day.

It makes my blood boil. Grrrr . . . .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 11:56 PM

Re: Beach donkeys

I really wasn't aware that they were still doing this Mups. I remember being plonked on a donkey when I was small and not really enjoying the experience. I kept thinking why would this animal want me to sit on its back

The thing is, these people exploit the donkeys for profit, so when it's nice weather, it just means more money for them, despite the fact it is too hot for the animals. I agree, it should be stopped.

I have witnessed horses collapsing in Cairo, the ones that pull the carriages and it is just barbaric.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:01 AM

It was making them work in this intense heat that bugged me, Dongle.
There is no where they can stand on a beach to get out of the sun.
And why do some children think the animal needs its ribs kicked to make it go faster!!

The humans all sit with their big sun hats on, many under beach parasols etc, but the donkeys have no way of getting out of the sun.
It's all wrong and should be illegal in these temperatures.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by mups ->
it was making them work in this intense heat that bugged me, dongle.
There is no where they can stand on a beach to get out of the sun.
And why do some children think the animal needs its ribs kicked to make it go faster!!

The humans all sit with their big sun hats on, many under beach parasols etc, but the donkeys have no way of getting out of the sun.
It's all wrong and should be illegal in these temperatures.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 01:06 AM

I didn't know there were still beach donkeys in the UK .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:35 AM

I took my little Grandson to a donkey sanctuary on Monday we adopted an ex beach donkey called Alfie...doesn't mean we bring him home or anything just that we pay a small amount each month to assist with his upkeep...in return they will send us updates on how he and his pals at the sanctuary are doing.....I think lots of sanctuaries have similar schemes around the country.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 04:42 AM

Blackpool beach donkeys rescued after being punched, kicked, and hit with sticks

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/blackp...after-13605428

The abusive owners of the 29 donkeys were found guilty of a string of animal cruelty charges, and banned for keeping animals for three years

17 NOV 2018

Owner Suzzana Taylor, 48, her daughter Grace, 18, and Taylor’s ex, Andrew Lomas, 43, were all found guilty of animal cruelty charges.

They were banned from keeping animals for three years and were each ordered to pay £500 in costs.

Suzzana Taylor and Lomas were given 14-week suspended jail terms. Taylor’s daughter must carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.

The Donkey Sanctuary took 27 donkeys in but, sadly, two donkeys had to be put to sleep due to ongoing health issues.

Hannah Bryer, head of welfare at the Donkey Sanctuary, said: “I’m relieved that the donkeys are now in our care and will have a happy life."
IMO, such "owners" should be thrown into an oubliette for a week or two .....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Blackpool beach donkeys rescued after being punched, kicked, and hit with sticks

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/blackp...after-13605428

The abusive owners of the 29 donkeys were found guilty of a string of animal cruelty charges, and banned for keeping animals for three years

17 NOV 2018

Yup I agree Omah
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:14 AM

I love donkeys, they're beautiful. Perhaps you could start an online petition Mups.
People are still taking dogs out on hot pavements in this heat, poor donkeys out all day too!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Make that a year or two!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top