Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Re: Unwanted Dating Sites

Although Adblock Plus is the most popular ad-blocker, there is also 'uBlock Origin' available that many say is the better choice. I'd personally go for uBlock Origin because it is thought to be lighter and so not slow down the browser so much. It's probably all a bit marginal though.

Nonetheless, there is the choice and a comparison of the two can be read about here:

https://www.webxen.com/kb/ublock-ori...-adblock-plus/

On my Windows computer, I don't use either of them but prefer to use AdGuard. It does a good job and works with any browser installed on the system. No need to install it separately if you have more than one browser installed. Not a free program but good. Read about it here:

https://knowtechie.com/review-adguar...rom-appearing/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 04:43 PM

I don't understand Azure...
I use Google Chrome and never get any advertisements of any sort. I don't use an 'Adblocker' either. I used to get them on this forum but since I donated to the site I don't even get them on here now....Nothing, Zilch....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I use Google Chrome and never get any advertisements of any sort. I don't use an 'Adblocker' either. I used to get them on this forum but since I donated to the site I don't even get them on here now....Nothing, Zilch....
Quite right OGF. I use Vivaldi as a browser and if I disable my ad-blocker, I start to get adverts here and elsewhere. I get them in Firefox too.

However, I don't get those ads when using Chrome (AdGuard still disabled). I don't think this is to do with subscriptions/donations though. It's probably more to do with what's said in the page linked to below.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...me_ad_blocker/
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 05:43 PM

... just a thought ...

Chrome is google is the world's favourite search engine.

What with cookies and watching your googling habits, they have their persuasive ways far superior to the old banner/block ad.

btw ... I have Adblock as a Chrome Extension.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Baz, I will have a read of that this evening.
Does it explain how to disable it too, or have I got to figure that out myself?
You get a little red symbol at the top of the screen which says ABP. You simply click on it, turn ad block off then refresh. reverse to turn it back on again. So far, I have not had a problem viewing anything.

Do you use Google Chrome Mups?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
How to get rid of attached dating sites on right-and corner of screen on Google
Showing girls in various states of undress who ask for dates Sometimes I have to delete 20.

Interesting for a man but they are unsolicited and seemed to have appeared after I uploaded Microsoft updates.
As suggested, something like Adblock should do the trick.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 06:33 PM

How to get rid of attached dating sites on right-and corner of screen on Google.
No 1, disable Javascript in your browser settings

It will make everything load and run much faster and stop all those annoying pop ups, banners, adverts etc.

No 1, go into your Google account settings, work through them all. There are check boxes in there to disable targetted ads and so on.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well, OGF you are missing many inviting offers from attractive girls of all nationalities.
They simply do not interest me, nor do Dating Sites.

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 06:59 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice

I have now disabled Java and three of the sites
Looking to install Ad Blocker or similar.

I could use Firefox instead of Google as well
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice

I have now disabled Java and three of the sites
Looking to install Ad Blocker or similar.
AH ... disabling Java wasn't necessarily good advice.

Adblock is all you need.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top