Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 08:05 AM

Router.

My daughter in law is currently setting an iphone up for me. While trying to download some apps Paula has told me my WiFi box is very slow. The apps were taking forever to load.

She took the phone to her house & they downloaded from her WiFi in a matter of minutes..

This is the router I've got. It's about 7 years old.

NETGEAR N150 wireless modem router DGM 1000

Do I need a new router and which should I get? I really have no idea about these things.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Re: Router.

Same as your dil’s ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 10:17 AM

Speed not only depends on the router but also the distance you are from the exchange.
First of all you really need to know what speed you are getting, so here is how to find out

www.speedtest.net

It is a free speed test.

Get your neighbour to do the same test and compare the difference. if it is about the same then it is not your router, if theirs is faster then get a new unit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Speed not only depends on the router but also the distance you are from the exchange.
First of all you really need to know what speed you are getting, so here is how to find out

www.speedtest.net

It is a free speed test.

Get your neighbour to do the same test and compare the difference. if it is about the same then it is not your router, if theirs is faster then get a new unit.
Agree Bazza
Carol I have the same problem , it is nothing to do with my router which was changed when the old one failed (it burnt out). The whole village has a slow speed.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Same as your dil’s ?
Could I do that?

My network is ee & they gave me my router many years ago.

Paula's network is Vodaphone & I assume they gave her hers.

Not sure it would work for me...
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Phone EE and ask them for a new router the one you got came out of the Ark.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

04-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanks for your answers everybody.

I will check the speed etc but it can't do any harm to ask EE for a new router before I consider buying one.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
This is the router I've got. It's about 7 years old.

NETGEAR N150 wireless modem router DGM 1000

Do I need a new router and which should I get? I really have no idea about these things.
Originally Posted by carol ->
Could I do that?

My network is ee & they gave me my router many years ago.
Originally Posted by wishbone ->
Phone EE and ask them for a new router the one you got came out of the Ark.
I agree .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Carol I am with EE, if you contact them and ask for a new router they will probably do what they did with me and run tests on the one you have. I only got a new one when a burn hole appeared in the old one
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 12:14 PM

In the case of a provider being reluctant to provide a new router, I would recommend switching to a different provider and getting a new router for free:

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/g...itch-broadband

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/switch/

Nowadays, after a bit of research on the internet, all it takes is a few clicks and the old and new providers sort it out between themselves but let you know what's happening.

I switched from BT to Zen - saved almost £20 pm and received a super-duper new router .....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top