Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Re: Virual Private Networks - Installation and Use

No, it's a browser plug-in and you connect via the vpn as and when you need it, usually for browsing US sites where they've blocked EU users as a result of the ludicrous EU GDPR.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
An interesting thread, thanks Omah as I have been thinking about this.

My first question is.... are they free? I'm guessing not.
AFAIK, some are free, some are paid-for, some come with browsers .....

However:

The Dark Side of Free VPNs: What You Need to Know

https://www.safervpn.com/blog/use-fr...ks-cybercrime/

When it comes to proxies and VPNs, the ones that don’t charge you money actually end up costing you the most by draining your privacy and security. Read more about the dangers of using a free VPN or proxy!
I'm trying out NordVPN free for 30 days and then approx £30 pa thereafter:

https://nordvpn.com/country/britain/...xoCfOUQAvD_BwE

NordVPN is also switchable (ON/OFF) with the facility to select the country of your choice.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 02:14 PM

One thing that you should be aware of when using a VPN is that your browser can leak your real IP address which rather defeats the object of using a VPN. To overcome this you need an addin like WebRTC to prevent your browser giving your IP address to all and sundry. There are web sites that will test your IP security via your VPN service.

This is the one I use with Firefox but there are others:

https://mybrowseraddon.com/webrtc-control.html

If you are interested this is the VPN I use, it costs me about $50 a year

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

The reason I chose this one is because they also offer a SOCK5 proxy so that you can use a torrent (file share) without having to permanently connect to a VPN service. You just enter the proxy into your Torrent program.

BTW personally I am wary of free VPN because in any free service on the internet you are not a customer but a product. However I have no reason to think they are shady but I would read some reviews of their services first.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Yes I should have mentioned that I also use webrtc.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
To use it for normal internet activities is a total waste of time and money a VPN just slows down your internet speed.
I've tested that (UK to US) and it certainly seems true - speed reduced by a whopping 80% .....

But I wached a US movie from Crackle with no interruption .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-08-2019, 02:40 PM

One thing that you should be aware of when using a VPN is that your browser can leak your real IP address which rather defeats the object of using a VPN. To overcome this you need an addin like WebRTC to prevent your browser giving your IP address to all and sundry. There are web sites that will test your IP security via your VPN service.

This is the one I use with Firefox but there are others:

https://mybrowseraddon.com/webrtc-control.html
Thanks ..... I'll check that out .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've tested that (UK to US) and it certainly seems true - speed reduced by a whopping 80% .....

But I wached a US movie from Crackle with no interruption .....
Yes that has been my experience too but I think streaming services reduce (or increase) the quality of the transmitted movie depending on the quality of the connection.

However if your VPN provider has, for example, several US sites you might find some faster than others so it is worth playing about with different addresses. I have several US ones set up in WIN10 so I can try different ones at different times of the day.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-08-2019, 03:14 PM

Yes that has been my experience too but I think streaming services reduce (or increase) the quality of the transmitted movie depending on the quality of the connection.

However if your VPN provider has, for example, several US sites you might find some faster than others so it is worth playing about with different addresses. I have several US ones set up in WIN10 so I can try different ones at different times of the day.
A quick look seems to indicate 19 locations/sites in the US with multiple servers .....
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Interesting thanks. I was thinking of getting a VPN but not sure it's worth it now.

You say people can track which sites you go on... say you go on ebay, do they only know you visited ebay or can they find out what you bought, how much you spent, if you're a seller, you're name/password etc???

and forums (like this one for example) ..does it just show your computer visited this site or can they see your username, password and find your posts????

I know site moderators are supposed to be able to trace someone's location, though not sure how as on my iPad where google shows my location they are always miles out!!! (often as far as the opposite end of the country!) as I never have location services on.

Though US sites such as Amazon.com can tell I'm in UK and direct me to there but I don't know how they know???

I think the internet and broadband is just another way for the govt to keep tabs on people and I don't trust social media at all. (Big Brother is watching you!)

Having been housebound for a period in the past though I have to admit online shopping and banking etc has been a godsend as there was no way I could get to my bank (or even my nearest post office - which isn't even accessible) for food or money. I would not have been able to remain independant through that period if I hadn't been able to 'shop online' and just get everything I needed delivered to my doorstep!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 07:14 PM

Easy.

Only use it when either you want to hide your activities from snooping, when you need to disguise your geo-location or when you are trying to access a web site your government has banned or blacklisted.

To use it for normal internet activities is a total waste of time and money a VPN just slows down your internet speed. Some sites even don't work when accessed via (some?)foreign VPNs for example Guardian Australia

Why did you decide to get a VPN?

Personally I just use the notification bar (used to be the charm bar) in WIN10 as a quick way to access it and turn it on and off.

For nefarious activities then apparently Switzerland, Netherlands and Japan have the best laws to keep your use/data private (I Googled it when I set it up) but I also use outlets in Russia, Australia, UK and USA for geo-location problems.

No doubt realist will stick his oar in with his usual doom and gloom about nothing being safe etc - just ignore.
Your prediction came true - have you ever considered using your psychic skills on the stage or the TV?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top