Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Roku 4K streaming stick

Just bought one for streaming from the internet, mainly Netflicks, iplayer and ITV hub.

My previous Chromecast was unusable after Google stopped supporting a laptop for set up but with the Roku stick you can use a laptop or other mobile device.

Fairly easy to set up, just follow the on screen instructions, you will need your network password number (wireless key- normally found on your router).

Channels appear on your TV screen as they would on a Smart TV, you just need an HDMI port and a wall socket. it also comes with it's own remote so you have full control.

Available at around £50.

Watched Netflicks for about four hours yesterday with no interruptions or buffering. Impressive so far and much better than the Chromecast.

Obviously, watching Netflicks is not free, you still have to subscribe but there are some free channels on there too I believe.

I just thought i would post this for anyone searching for a good streaming device.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/...ing-stick-plus
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Re: Roku 4K streaming stick

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Just bought one for streaming from the internet, mainly Netflicks, iplayer and ITV hub.

My previous Chromecast was unusable after Google stopped supporting a laptop for set up but with the Roku stick you can use a laptop or other mobile device.

Fairly easy to set up, just follow the on screen instructions, you will need your network password number (wireless key- normally found on your router).

Channels appear on your TV screen as they would on a Smart TV, you just need an HDMI port and a wall socket. it also comes with it's own remote so you have full control.

Available at around £50.

Watched Netflicks for about four hours yesterday with no interruptions or buffering. Impressive so far and much better than the Chromecast.

Obviously, watching Netflicks is not free, you still have to subscribe but there are some free channels on there too I believe.

I just thought i would post this for anyone searching for a good streaming device.
Good man Longdogs, it might be just what I need......
Since I've had this enlarged prostate my streaming has turned into a Dribble!..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good man Longdogs, it might be just what I need......
Since I've had this enlarged prostate my streaming has turned into a Dribble!..
Are you taking the p*ss Foxy?

I think you might need a U Tube.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I have a couple of WD TV Live Players which I would recommend to anybody. Or at least I would have recommended them were it not for the fact that apparently they were discontinued in 2016. You can still pick them up very cheaply on eBay.

This was not known to me until I just looked them up to check on the price because I have had mine for many years (I think seven or so years) I think I paid about $50 to $70 for them. They do have wiFi but I have never turned it on because my wired LAN is obviously faster.

Actually I have three such devices but one is a Gen 1 and not quite as good as the later ones. They have the ability to stream Netflix, Youtube, iView, SBS and many streaming services etc but then so does my TV.

I really only use them these days for streaming movies and TV programs from my server but again my TV would do this except...

• The Twonky software on my server is not as reliable as it should be and the TV has trouble with it - on the WD device I can use network shares or even plug in USB devices directly.
  • Secondly I found a problem in my camper when plugging a HDD straight into the TV because the TV could only see a certain number of files (256??) which meant that I had to put the movies into directories.
  • The TV also only recognises a couple of formats. I don't know if my Sony has the same limitations but the WD TV Live can handle any format that I throw at it.

Having just discovered that they are no longer obtainable I shall be taking more care of them but I would be interested in a fuller report on how you get on with this Roku. is it customisable? is it open source?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-08-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have a couple of WD TV Live Players which I would recommend to anybody. Or at least I would have recommended them were it not for the fact that apparently they were discontinued in 2016. You can still pick them up very cheaply on eBay.

This was not known to me until I just looked them up to check on the price because I have had mine for many years (I think seven or so years) I think I paid about $50 to $70 for them. They do have wiFi but I have never turned it on because my wired LAN is obviously faster.

Actually I have three such devices but one is a Gen 1 and not quite as good as the later ones. They have the ability to stream Netflix, Youtube, iView, SBS and many streaming services etc but then so does my TV.

I really only use them these days for streaming movies and TV programs from my server but again my TV would do this except...

• The Twonky software on my server is not as reliable as it should be and the TV has trouble with it - on the WD device I can use network shares or even plug in USB devices directly.
  • Secondly I found a problem in my camper when plugging a HDD straight into the TV because the TV could only see a certain number of files (256??) which meant that I had to put the movies into directories.
  • The TV also only recognises a couple of formats. I don't know if my Sony has the same limitations but the WD TV Live can handle any format that I throw at it.

Having just discovered that they are no longer obtainable I shall be taking more care of them but I would be interested in a fuller report on how you get on with this Roku. is it customisable? is it open source?
There is quite a large range of Roku equipment from sticks to boxes ( I understand they also supply TV companies so they can fit them inside). Not sure what open source means although you do have to create a Roku account and give card details - in case you decide to rent from their film channel.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/which...ce-should-buy/

I forgot to mention that my remote also has a voice activated search, so you can just say 'Peaky Blinders' into it and it will find it for you.

Early days for me yet but I read up on it quite a bit and Roku does seem to be one of the best options (for the price) other than buying a smart TV .
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:30 PM

Open source refers to software where the author allows the source code rather than just the executable, to be available to the users and allows the users to modify it, to run on other platforms for example, and redistribute it. I believe Roku software is open source.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top