Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 10:02 PM

Re: How Many Americans Does it Take to Start a Car?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
i know what you mean there. The timer on my oven goes from 0 to five hours in seconds. trying to get it on 22minutes is a skill.
Mine requires pushing more buttons than I have fingers.

Now I just call the engineering department of the local university to send someone out whenever I bake a cake.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
. Take it to the courts.
Haven't got the time. Too busy putting on my crampons so I can climb up onto your roof.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 10:07 PM

Mine requires pushing more buttons than I have fingers.

Now I just call the engineering department of the local university to send someone out whenever I bake a cake.
Wonder if a pre-test for budding astronauts is to see if they can get an oven to turn on automatically.

Has anyone ever managed it successfully?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Haven't got the time. Too busy putting on my crampons so I can climb up onto your roof.
Just don't forget to wear your Viking hat so I know it's you.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

09-01-2021, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Wonder if a pre-test for budding astronauts is to see if they can get an oven to turn on automatically.

Has anyone ever managed it successfully
?
Let's just say there aren't a lot of desserts sitting around on the counter.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

09-01-2021, 10:16 PM

Just don't forget to wear your Viking hat so I know it's you.

You're mocking me. Just because your numbers add up and can be verified as totally accurate and I have absolutely no evidence to the contrary doesn't mean that they're correct.

Have you yanks learned nothing!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 11:18 PM

it's true about the manual but if it's anything like mine, it's about three hundred pages long and all in subsections.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:50 AM

I was stuck in a super market car park once with a new car. had no idea I had to lean on the clutch.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:13 PM

I know i shouldn't but your post did make me chuckle, especially when bit where you are ready to kill your husband hehe
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:56 PM

... and every make or model of a car is different.

We have three cars, two with the indicator stalk on the left and one with it on the right.
Lights on the indicator stalk are on opposite sides on two cars, and a proper light switch on the dashboard of the third.
Two are automatic and one has an automatic clutch. That takes some getting used to. You have to put your foot on the brake pedal before it will start as well.
The previous car was a semi-automatic. It had a gear lever and five speed cogbox, but no clutch pedal.

When I learned to drive, the indicator was a three position knob in the middle of the dash. You started a car either by turning the key in the ignition, or turned it and pressed a button.
A separate starter button was attached direct to the starter solenoid under the bonnet in case of electrical problems.

Then there was my ex-army Austin Champ. Both gear levers had to be in the neutral position for it to start, and then you inserted the key (that couldn't be turned) before turning the switch around the key.
It had a five speed cog box plus a forward and reverse selector, meaning you had five reverse gears, if you were brave or stupid enough to try it. Kelly's Heroes/Italian Tanks style.
The idea was you could get out of trouble as fast as you got into it, and could still use the machine gun mounted on the passenger side. (Gun not included for civilian use).

Then there was the Renault hire car that would start, fire, then cut out. I had got in it to work out where the lights, wipers etcetera were, and to adjust all the mirrors.
Loose items such as jacks, spare wheels, and handbooks were removed by hire companies lest they be nicked.
Thankfully my brother called in unexpectedly and told me there was a timer that wouldn't allow the car to run if it wasn't started within thirty seconds of unlocking it. You had to re-lock and unlock the car if you exceeded that time.

That's car makers for you. It's a good job Microsoft don't make cars.
You hit the brakes and a message pops up, "Are you sure?"

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top