Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:43 AM

Re: Drying the washing

Carol knows that I resisted buying a tumble dryer till recently and I've had mine about a week. I do usually hang my washing on clothes horses (or airers, lol), and sometimes set the dehumidifier going. In the rental I had a large spare bedroom, where the boiler was, and kept damp washing in there. I also went to the launderette a lot to use their dryers, and bed linen or towels would be hung over the bannisters to air, as there was loads of room.

Used my tumbler just once so far, as not done any more washing. My clothes line is very short, because of the small size of the garden.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:48 AM

If the weather is bad I hang my laundry in the garage and leave the windows open so it still has that 'fresh air' smell!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:04 AM

I try to keep humidity down to about 50%. The tumble dryer is in the garage and the moist air is kept outside. The dehumidifier gathers in the moisture from the clothes, so it doesn't go into the air in the house.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My tumble drier is broken so yesterday I was forced to dry a load of towels on the radiators and they're as stiff as boards!!

Anybody on here not got a tumble dryer? How do you dry your washing on winter days?
Same way as I dry them on summer days, on my Hills hoist in the garden.

The only difference is that on summer days the washing takes a couple of hours to dry, on winter days it might take 3 or 4 hours to dry depending if there is any wind.

If it is raining I don't wash or on the rare occasion that I do I hang things in the car port.

I don't own a tumble dryer, actually I have never owned a tumble dryer.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 01:21 PM

I keep meaning to get one of those drying racks that my Grandma had .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	43046D11-7391-4F26-9375-7BE8F46C7424.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	14130  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 02:03 PM

I haven't got a tumble dryer either, so just have to manage like others have said, and use a couple of fold up airers overnight.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 02:38 PM

I wouldn’t mind one of the drying lines that go over the bath. My old one, provided with the flat when new, soon had sagging lines, so when my nephew in law did the bathroom, we tried to put up a new one, but it didn’t work, somehow. The washing was able to drop moisture into the bath and being high up, dried nicely. And I used to open the window.

Can’t do it in this bathroom till I change/remove the shower screen.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 03:01 PM

I love my washer/dryer. No room for an airing rack, but if an item can't be tumbled I have a airer that I use for drying, right in front of a hot air vent in here. It works for most clothing, they dry OK, but not towels, they do dry hard & nasty if not tumbled. My Daughter doesn't have a dryer & her towels are horrible to use & those do get dried out doors too.
I wonder f it's the modern washing powder. In the days when my Mum did her washing with a boiler & proper soap rather than detergent & dried all her washing out doors then ironed it all, (something I do not do), I never remember hard scracthy towels then.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 03:06 PM

My mother had a mangle it certainly got the water out .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My mother had a mangle it certainly got the water out .
So did my Mum. Washing day was Monday too. Now I do a wash any day I want.
Can you remember the smells of wash day, Muddy? Not the same now is it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top