Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:00 PM

Re: Already seeing the benefits of Brexit

I do hope that "gigaplant" in the north east will have PV cells installed on the roof to offset the need for conventionally generated electricity.

JBR is quite right, lithium batteries cannot be recycled and, in fact, are downright toxic to man and beast.

As far as Brie and Camembert are concerned, there are perfected good English versions of these cheeses available at reasonable prices. You only have to look for them in independent shops.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The sort of benefits I want to see are not tangible , to me leaving the EU is not about will I have to pay more for Brie which apparently will go up 40% with tariffs ( I don't touch it anyway , I prefer british made cheese ) or other products from the EU most of which I can live without and if there are tariffs, we export more to the EU so will collect more in import tariffs anyway. For me it is all about having command of our own laws/seas/taxes/how we run our country and getting the hell out of the bog before we get dragged down any further under the feet of the French and Germans who seem to have power over all the other member states of the EU .

These last few weeks watching the attitude of the EU has made me angry, it is quite clear from their insistence on a 'level playing field 'or 'dynamic alignment ' that the EU is scared to death that once out from under their boot heel
we have the ability to do a lot better them them.

So for me the 'benefit' comes with freedom and if I have to pay a bit more for some things or go without others that's fine.
I am tired of hearing food producers going on about the market for lamb and cheese etc being under threat , the answer is simple lower your prices a little and sell it all here . What is lost in lower prices should be made up from no export costs and selling more.
So there is another benefit, perhaps we will be able to afford to buy our home produced lamb if the French aren't buying half of it.

Did you get that right Meg? "we export more to the eu"??
Im with you on the rest though !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Did you get that right Meg? "we export more to the eu"??
Im with you on the rest though !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
No DM of course I meant to say we import more so should collect more in tariffs if tariffs are applied .
I am typing blind here,my specs are held together with elastoplast
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:12 PM

No DM of course I meant to say we import more so should collect more in tariffs if tariffs are applied .
I am typing blind here,my specs are held together with elastoplast
Hal Ha!, I know how that feels !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:14 PM

The sort of benefits I want to see are not tangible , to me leaving the EU is not about will I have to pay more for Brie which apparently will go up 40% with tariffs ( I don't touch it anyway , I prefer british made cheese ) or other products from the EU most of which I can live without and if there are tariffs, we export more to the EU so will collect more in import tariffs anyway. For me it is all about having command of our own laws/seas/taxes/how we run our country and getting the hell out of the bog before we get dragged down any further under the feet of the French and Germans who seem to have power over all the other member states of the EU .

These last few weeks watching the attitude of the EU has made me angry, it is quite clear from their insistence on a 'level playing field 'or 'dynamic alignment ' that the EU is scared to death that once out from under their boot heel
we have the ability to do a lot better them them.

So for me the 'benefit' comes with freedom and if I have to pay a bit more for some things or go without others that's fine.
I am tired of hearing food producers going on about the market for lamb and cheese etc being under threat , the answer is simple lower your prices a little and sell it all here . What is lost in lower prices should be made up from no export costs and selling more.
So there is another benefit, perhaps we will be able to afford to buy our home produced lamb if the French aren't buying half of it.
You've picked on one thing there that really grates.
How the heck a couple of lamb chops has become more expensive that a well-matured fillet steak is plain daft!
I prefer a good ribeye myself or a sirloin, but the same stands.

In the past the excuse was "but the British only want the leg" - well more so now than ever before that is just not true; we can only buy what is for sale at a reasonable price.
Lamb mince for Shepherds pie & burgers; breast of lamb and diced lamb on a barbecue; lamb and mint pies; lamb shanks; lambs liver ........... I could go on and on and on but my mouth is already watering so much I have to stop.

I've even seen that this year our farmers could hardly give away the wool and yet along with a whole host of other things the stuff makes excellent insulation.

I keep saying it in different threads in this forum, but we really do need a big "buy British" campaign and stop buying so much of the (let's be honest) crap that the EU has increasingly foisted upon us over the years.

No I'm not suggesting a return to the sixties but when people don't realise what excellent stuff we produce here at home and would rather buy often foreign-sourced ready-prepared meals that aren't nutritionally good just to use one example, maybe a change is needed.
In that example it would probably also improve health long-term as an added bonus.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
You've picked on one thing there that really grates.
How the heck a couple of lamb chops has become more expensive that a well-matured fillet steak is plain daft!
I prefer a good ribeye myself or a sirloin, but the same stands.

In the past the excuse was "but the British only want the leg" - well more so now than ever before that is just not true; we can only buy what is for sale at a reasonable price.
Lamb mince for Shepherds pie & burgers; breast of lamb and diced lamb on a barbecue; lamb and mint pies; lamb shanks; lambs liver ........... I could go on and on and on but my mouth is already watering so much I have to stop.

I've even seen that this year our farmers could hardly give away the wool and yet along with a whole host of other things the stuff makes excellent insulation.

I keep saying it in different threads in this forum, but we really do need a big "buy British" campaign and stop buying so much of the (let's be honest) crap that the EU has increasingly foisted upon us over the years.

No I'm not suggesting a return to the sixties but when people don't realise what excellent stuff we produce here at home and would rather buy often foreign-sourced ready-prepared meals that aren't nutritionally good just to use one example, maybe a change is needed.
In that example it would probably also improve health long-term as an added bonus.
Zaphod I seldom eat meat now and when I do it is where possible organic and from a local farm.

I agree it is almost impossible it buy many cuts of meat these days, I have been told 'there is no call for it' when asking for cuts like breast of lamb or shin of beef etc.

We certainly do need a 'buy british ' campaign and if one thing has come out of Covid it is a lot more people have learnt to 'buy locally' which I have always done anyway supporting the local farm shop and farmers market .
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:46 PM

Zaphod I seldom eat meat now and when I do it is where possible organic and from a local farm.

I agree it is almost impossible it buy many cuts of meat these days, I have been told 'there is no call for it' when asking for cuts like breast of lamb or shin of beef etc.

We certainly do need a 'buy british ' campaign and if one thing has come out of Covid it is a lot more people have learnt to 'buy locally' which I have always done anyway supporting the local farm shop and farmers market .
That reminds me ... I need to make another curry for tonight

Lamb it is...
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 04:59 PM

I'm a true carnivore but I too very rarely buy meat from anywhere other than a few online places that have proven to be excellent.

I'm really hoping that Brexit proves to be a turning point for the country making more of what we want to buy although I'm pragmatic and understand that it's not always viable.

I really do think though that we have a great opportunity to be greener and lead the way in the world by producing better quality products that last longer, so reducing our carbon footprint rather than buying throwaway clothes from Primark & Fred or George, or throwaway Turkish and Chinese electricals.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
That reminds me ... I need to make another curry for tonight

Lamb it is...
Oh I love a good lamb Rogan Josh .............
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 05:00 PM

i

The biggest benefit from leaving and I reason I voted leave was the end of furher integration.

I always was in favour of the Common Market, but never the EU.

It is a nonsense for anyone to claim that we know the economiv outcomes of leaving as we are still in Transition.

The short term effects will be known in January.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top