Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Re: The Kettle Minefield..

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have a Braun

Year ago my kettle broke, I had to wait a week for a new one to be delivered and in the meantime I had the hassle of heating water in a saucepan on the stove. When I was out one day I bought a £8 basic kettle to keep as a spare .
My kettle broke and I pulled out the cheap spare to use, I got used to it and didn't get round to buying a 'good one' for many years . I certainly got my moneys worth from the cheap one .
Meg, Whilst l was in one of the shops looking at kettles, a stranger came up to me and said he had bought his kettle from Argos for £5 and he said it was great.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
We found that some kettles can add a taste to the water for quite a long time. We even gave up on a new one because of that. The kettle we found OK is a Russell-Hobbs metal jug kettle.
Mart, If a new kettle has a taste that continues after several boils. I return it to where l bought it from and get a refund.
I can’t bear a tainted cup of tea.
I do actually, if possible, sniff inside kettles before l purchase them. I haven’t been reprimanded by store staff as yet!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I have one of those where there is a heater tank, under the sink, and you hold the cup, plate, jug, whatever, unter the tap and turn it on.

It's genuine boiling tap water - on demand.

Perfect.
Ted, My friend has one of those in his ‘£30,000 designer’ kitchen. I have used it but it scares the life out of me as it appears to be gushing at a high speed! Yet hardly any water comes out at one time.
I must say, the tea tastes lovely with no horrid taste in the water.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
When we lived in a hard water area we bought a Brita filter jug and used water from that to boil in a kettle. No need to descale the kettle after using the filtered water.
Percy, That sounds a really good idea but l think l might find it a bit of a palaver?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ted, My friend has one of those in his ‘£30,000 designer’ kitchen. I have used it but it scares the life out of me as it appears to be gushing at a high speed! Yet hardly any water comes out at one time.
I must say, the tea tastes lovely with no horrid taste in the water.
And the cost is not too bad.

About 150 quid, in Costco, last year, in their sale.

For that you get a new basin tap, a water filter, the water tank, etc.

Reasonable to install, if you can do a bit of sink plumbing.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 11:14 PM

I use one of those `One Cup` machines. Put a beaker under the spout, press a button, and within twenty seconds it deposits the correct amount of hot water into the beaker. Saves waste and electricity.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 11:44 PM

I've had a couple of plastic kettles, but they do leak eventually

when I moved house about 9 years ago I got a stainless steel Goodmans for about £20 I think, and it's worked perfectly ever since
I see that the same model is listed on B&M Bargains website for £18, but I've seen them higher priced, so shop around

At a quick look, the Goodmans & Cookworks look to be the same

if I was buying again I'd get the same, or something in the £20 to £30 range, there are quite a few to choose from
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

What kettle do you have. Was it a cheapy or an expensive top of the range one? Maybe bought for its trendy look or to go with your kitchen?
Are the expensive kettles worth it?
Most certainly not worth it!! Our kettle is one from Wilco and cost a fiver. Since buying it about 2yrs ago we have bought 2 more and they were still a fiver ..why pay more?
An electric kettle is a lidded + spouted container with a heating element fitted with a steam detector and of course a boil-dry cut out; so to me anything over a fiver is a waste of money.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:25 PM

We have a Dualitt Architect kettle. About twenty five years ago we bought a Dualitt toaster and it is still going strong. I'm not so impressed with the kettle though. It requires descaling every couple of weeks and is very noisy. It is also hot to the touch and despite it's size, the maximum level is about half of what you would expect. Looks nice though.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:25 PM

We usually buy a cheap one from Asda or Tesco. They usually last for a few years.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top