Join for free
View Poll Results: What do you want to happen by end of year?
Deal 3 14.29%
No Deal 15 71.43%
Extension of transition 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 08:10 PM

Re: Deal before Year End?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I become more convinced, every day, that the EU pantomime has reached a stage where the EU no longer feels capable of stopping us, giving us a deal, or seeing us leave with no deal.

I am certain that the whole show is about saying to all of the other prisoners, "Hey, you see how difficult we can make it for anyone thinking that leaving might be a good idea. Anyone who makes an attempt will be treated like this!"

They've lost us, but they think that no other country will have the balls to make the attempt.

I predict a "No Deal" outcome, but after quite a lot more "negotiating".

Then, watch out for the further defense activity at the ports.

Like most, I still hope that Boris will stick to his guns.

I wonder if you have seen this from John Redwood, which might help clarify how UK/EU trade really works as well as WTO rules?

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2020/1...-project-fear/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As long as we leave as a truly independent country then what on earth is wrong with a free trade deal?

For the life of me I cannot understand this desire to break links with trading partners, established over decades, that bring mutual benefit to all.

For me, I just want to dump the EU, not Europe. Why burn bridges if you don't have to? That, to me, just smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face, completely nonsensical...
I have the distinct feeling that that is exactly what we'll end up with in time. A free trade deal as an independent nation without any political ties.
Just like they have agreed with Canada and others.

Of course, they dread agreeing a deal with us for two simple reasons:
- they have enjoyed controlling us in every way for forty years and feel they can't afford to give that up;
- they fear a direct competitor which is directly on their doorstep and is strong financially and politically.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 10:26 PM

As long as we leave as a truly independent country then what on earth is wrong with a free trade deal?

For the life of me I cannot understand this desire to break links with trading partners, established over decades, that bring mutual benefit to all.

For me, I just want to dump the EU, not Europe. Why burn bridges if you don't have to? That, to me, just smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face, completely nonsensical...
I agree with you Barry, except for perhaps the first part of your first sentence. I am of the opinion that countries are no longer truly and completely independent of each other. Britain is no different. We need other countries and they need us -it is a mutually beneficial thing.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 07:21 AM

Call me a cynic, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if the deal is done but Boris needs a bit of grandstanding to sell it to his ( how shall I put it) ardent brexiteers. What better than claiming he knocked those Europeans heads together and forced a deal out of them even if he had to give way a bit on the Internal Market Bill. After all his big election clarion call was get Brexit done!”
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 09:12 AM

There is no "Don't care" box.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There is no "Don't care" box.
Would that be for similar reasons as to why others here also do not care about the state of the Australian economy despite your attempts to engage, do you think?

A no deal currently is looking most likely and - despite what a few fantasists might suggest - there is absolutely nothing indicative of any deal being even remotely near because of the EU's insistence that the UK cede sovereignty.
None.

What I find particularly interesting at this late stage is that no firm day has been set for this meeting between Boris and von der Leyen, especially following Barnier's "the deal must be done by Wednesday" comment.

Also interesting is that - although we know that both have asked their chief negotiators to "prepare an overview of the remaining differences" and that these will meet today (Tuesday) to do so, neither has actually said that anything else is happening.
The obvious conclusion must be that negotiations are now finished.

It should also be noted that despite media insistence yesterday that Boris had offered to remove some clauses from the WA if a deal was available, the Bill again passed in the Commons with a comfortable majority of 89.

IMHO then the obvious outcome at this stage is no deal.
What follows will, I think, see the EU desperately try to engage in the new year and agree the basic trade deal which is what the UK has said for so long now is all that it wants.
How early in the new year depends upon how vocal any suffering EU traders with the UK become.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:58 AM

I think most of us agree entirely with you Barry, and none more so
than Boris, he has allways been clear that his first preference is
to have a deal?
However your first paragraph appears to be impossible according to
the eu commissioners !!
So perhaps you should address that paragraph to them ??
TRULY independant requires certain conditions to prevail for it to
be true doesnt it, surely??

Donkeyman! 👍🤔👍
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
to have a deal?
the eu commissioners !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤔👍
But isn't that what we are negotiating for at present, or have I missed something? And as it's what you want as well then why say you would prefer no deal?

Your stance seems contradictory to agreeing with me...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Would that be for similar reasons as to why others here also do not care about the state of the Australian economy despite your attempts to engage, do you think?

A no deal currently is looking most likely and - despite what a few fantasists might suggest - there is absolutely nothing indicative of any deal being even remotely near because of the EU's insistence that the UK cede sovereignty.
None.

What I find particularly interesting at this late stage is that no firm day has been set for this meeting between Boris and von der Leyen, especially following Barnier's "the deal must be done by Wednesday" comment.

Also interesting is that - although we know that both have asked their chief negotiators to "prepare an overview of the remaining differences" and that these will meet today (Tuesday) to do so, neither has actually said that anything else is happening.
The obvious conclusion must be that negotiations are now finished.

It should also be noted that despite media insistence yesterday that Boris had offered to remove some clauses from the WA if a deal was available, the Bill again passed in the Commons with a comfortable majority of 89.

IMHO then the obvious outcome at this stage is no deal.
What follows will, I think, see the EU desperately try to engage in the new year and agree the basic trade deal which is what the UK has said for so long now is all that it wants.
How early in the new year depends upon how vocal any suffering EU traders with the UK become.
March would be fine by me!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-12-2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
to have a deal?
the eu commissioners !!
Truly independent means, quite simply, we retain our sovereignty including our sea areas, our right to support our own businesses and our freedom from any interference from the ECJ.

After all, these are all things which Canada and Japan have.

Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top