Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 07:57 PM

Nightmare at the Lion Queens Castle

We are having a nightmare right now and we are feeling really sorry for ourselves, so much so I could cry.

A couple of nights ago I spotted some water on the hall laminated floor and I thought the dog had peed as he pees but then we realised it wasn't the dog at all. We have water coming up from our floor and it's spread from the hallway to the kitchen.

We have check everything, our washer, our boiler, our freezer, fridge and nothing is leaking so it has to be coming from a burst pipe under the floor.

I can't believe this is happening and so near Christmas.

My husbands anxiety levels are through the roof as he doesn't deal with stress anymore like he used to.

I'm so worried about getting ripped off, its going to be a big job and I know it's going to cost a lot of money. Yes we have insurance but the plumber says we will probably only be able to claim the damage to our floor, not for the actual work as well.

It's clear water, not sewage so at least it doesn't smell but it's squelching and so worrying. Plumber can't get here till tomorrow as he's in London on a job back tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

I'm so fed up, so near to Christmas too.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 08:09 PM

Re: Nightmare at the Lion Queens Castle

If your own water pressure hasn't gone down and if your central heating system is working ok; boiler water level not reduced...............could it be possible that it's a Thames Water Board pipe? I'd give them a call.........

Turn your water off at source (main stopcock) and see if the leak reduces.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
If your own water pressure hasn't gone down and if your central heating system is working ok; boiler water level not reduced...............could it be possible that it's a Thames Water Board pipe? I'd give them a call.........

Turn your water off at source (main stopcock) and see if the leak reduces.
Thanks Lindy, we turned the water off last night and all day today but its not made any difference and slowly getting worse.

Can't wait for the plumber to come, its horrible, I dread to think how bad those poor people who get flooded a lot feel
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Thanks Lindy, we turned the water off last night and all day today but its not made any difference and slowly getting worse.

Can't wait for the plumber to come, its horrible, I dread to think how bad those poor people who get flooded a lot feel
Doesn't that indicate that it's not your water supply pipe? I'd call the emergency number for whichever water authority you use.

Good luck
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 08:37 PM

Lion Q
Can you close the main stopcock? Ours is just outside the street. The problem we had was a leaking pipe outside our back garden. We had a local plumber in and he fixed it for £30 quid.

I do hope you can get as lucky.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

13-12-2020, 08:55 PM

You could also consider if the leak is seeping in from a neighbouring property............
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 09:03 PM

So sorry to hear about your nightmare LQ. Do you have solid floors (concrete) or suspended floors?

The main problem with a leak (if it is a pipe) is not fixing the leak but getting to the problem. i don't know the layout of your house but it could be a pipe or fitting leaking somewhere else and the water is travelling under your laminate then up to the surface, perhaps a downstairs basin, tap or loo. I have seen this happen a few times.

Just remember that the plumber will not be too stressed about it and will take it all in his stride. I hope it all works out ok for you, I'm sure it will.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 11:03 PM

Oh Queenie that is awful - have a a big Lion Hug ((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 12:05 AM

Aw I could cry for you Queenie. I hope you get it sorted quickly.

I'm thinking you will have to have all new flooring as the water will lift the laminate.
So near to Christmas too.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2020, 01:17 AM

Could be one of many things, obviously.

If you're up to it, I'd strongly recommend that you remove the laminate since the plumber will need access anyway. Plus the floor itself will need to dry out before you get the insurers to put down a new one. Finally, by removing the laminate, you might even slow the spread of water to adjacent areas which will help things dry out more quickly after the repair.

If I lived closer, I'd come round and repair it for you. But I don't, so I can't.

Obviously a bit of a ballache so close to Christmas, but it could be worse and I'm sure it all looks worse than it is. Repairing a pipe doesn't usually take long once the leak is found.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top