Join for free
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 10:31 PM

Benefits of Brexit

Wasn't it those Yorkshire fisherman who voted for Brexit?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55370313
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 10:54 PM

Re: Benefits of Brexit

Don't worry we can send you Rock Lobster by the tonne since China banned imports of live lobster. My local fishmonger is selling them for $35 each cooked since the price plummeted.

Only 11 days to go before the benefits of Brexit become apparent, no more idle speculation then.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 11:06 PM

And the European consumers will instantly stop wanting our seafood on the first of January. The EU commissars should be more worried about this than our fisherman.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
And the European consumers will instantly stop wanting our seafood on the first of January. The EU commissars should be more worried about this than our fisherman.
They probably are worried about the senseless red tape and taxes but its not actually their livelihoods at stake is it?
Do you suppose Bozo is worried?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
They probably are worried about the senseless red tape and taxes but its not actually their livelihoods at stake is it?
Do you suppose Bozo is worried?

Those of us in the UK that enjoy lobster .... no !

Lobster imports into the EU all have the same tarrif ... all those EU beam trawlers are destroying natural habitats of lobster anyway. A decent size one is about 80 years old.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Wasn't it those Yorkshire fisherman who voted for Brexit?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55370313
Ooh, are there really over 17 million Yorkshire fishermen left now that the EU has decimated British fishing?
Or do you think that - just maybe - it's yet another piece of typical BBC anti-Brexit bull?
I wonder how long it took the BBC team to find someone willing to say what they wanted?

If the whole of UK fishing is under 0.12% of the UK's economy as we are told and the likes of what the Beeb posted about lobsters is a tiny fraction of that, maybe somebody can explain why such a big deal is being made of this?
Either fishing matters or it doesn't.

As Bruce says, maybe it'll make these things more affordable here at home instead of people buying those cheap & generally awful frozen Canadian lobsters.
I know which I would rather have.
So being able to afford a British lobster would certainly be a benefit, not just to me but for not importing foreign frozen stuff too.

BTW we have a thread about benefits of Brexit.
Was therereally any need for another?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Don't worry we can send you Rock Lobster by the tonne since China banned imports of live lobster. My local fishmonger is selling them for $35 each cooked since the price plummeted.

Only 11 days to go before the benefits of Brexit become apparent, no more idle speculation then.
Who needs 11 days?
Over half a million Brits are already grateful for what Brexit has given them far sooner than anywhere else - and especially those within the EU.

It comes to something when an MEP in the European Parliament itself says that they are, and I quote, "envious of the Brits".

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top