Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 01:29 PM

Re: Is A Liar, Born Or Made?

Undoubtedly some people tell lies. However, it is most annoying to be accused of lying when relating things about one's own life which are totally true, but outside the experience of others!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 01:47 PM

One of the saddest things to see is my 91 year old mother. Her memory is now failing but how she ever coped with his lies is beyond me. Maybe she was in denial for so many years? She must have known he was talking utter bollocks.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 02:23 PM

I have Lived with family members that have driven me to dementia, knowing that they have lied and will always lie. I have very little if any contact with them these days, but it is so sad that they seem to have done well out if. I miss the fact that they are history but not a lot I can do with it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 02:42 PM

I've got to that stage too Moyra, if I catch someone lying I tell them exactly what I think and don't bother with them again.
The only reason I have anything to do with my ex is for my daughter's sake, although he had lied terribly to her too and caused great upset. Also he owes me so much money in child support I make him do jobs to make up for it, that is if he doesn't weasel out of them!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 03:04 PM

The laundry basket reveals all. He could lie for England but could not wipe his arse. What a man.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 06:38 PM

We'll I guess we've all told a few white lies, but I suppose people lie to get the result they want to see/hear, some embellish stories to liven them up and I suppose they are in general quite harmless, some lies can be quite hurtful and can cause a lot of harm, some lies ,when found out can make the perpetrators look very foolish, but, would you lie to save yours or a love one's life? I once remember a programs on TV ( can't remember which one) where a deeply religious young girl was told that it was a sin before god to tell a lie, she was then asked that if say an occupying army ( think Nazis) asked where her neighboring Jewish family we're hiding, and she knew where, would god punish her if she told a lie and said she didn't know? I guess we'd all lie to save our own skins, wouldn't we?
Hawkeye
Devon UK
Hawkeye is male  Hawkeye has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 07:47 PM

The big flaw that liars have is a poor memory. To be a successful liar you would have to remember every word told to every person you ever encountered. They of course, assume that others have poor memory, which we all know is not the case.
On the net liars are caught out quite easily as every single thing that is typed is preserved, it is just a matter of going back far enough.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Some people are compulsive/pathological liars You will give evidence that they are telling lies but they will still deny it. Why do they do it?
Are they born, liars, or made? Is it a mental flaw?
Ask Tony Blair !

Seriously though - I do not know the answer. Maybe their lives are just so boring they have to lie to make themselves sound interesting?

They would need to have really good memories.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Some people are compulsive/pathological liars You will give evidence that they are telling lies but they will still deny it. Why do they do it?
Are they born, liars, or made? Is it a mental flaw?
I could never lie so l find it hard to understand those that do!
What are your views
Everyone lies from time to time, I don't care if you wrap it up as being tactful, bending the truth to save feelings or getting yourself out of a tricky situation.

It's not a mental flaw, it's just human nature. Pathological liars are a different type of person and my belief is that someone who compulsively lies is perhaps an attention seeker or deeply insecure. Whatever their excuse, I have no truck with them.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 10:51 PM

What's the difference between pathological liars and compulsive ones?
My ex actually believes a lot of what he says.
When he knows he's lying he makes a strange action with the corner of his mouth.
When he saying something he swears is true he gets nasty if you say you don't believe him.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top