Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Re: Christmas in Hospital

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Goodness Swims ... you're out and I've only just discovered you're in.

In between 120 steps an hour you must put your feet up. We all know you .... gadding around, misbehaving ....

All the best for a speedy recovery .... XX
Hi

It is so lovely to see you back again posting Morti, you have been sadly missed.

I am behaving myself, at least for the next month.

I have dodged the bullet on a number of occasions.

My last episode, at the end of July was serious, not operable, so medically managed.

I cannot have another bypass.

This did not work, so in again twice in Shrewsbury and then this last lot.

Nothing worked so off to Stoke, the regional CCU.

Decison made to operate, then cancelled as I was having Unstable Angina Attacks, far too risky.

In comes the Prof, if we do not operate he will die.

I signed the form, investigate and proceed, do not resucitate.

Three hours of hell, awake , on Fentanyl, I now have 2 functioning coronary arteries.

I have to behave for a while.

The Prof was pleased, I was pleased, a one in 12 chance of survival.

What happens next?

It will not last forever

I can go mad in moderation, but not every day.

I have to behave for 6 months to keep his statistics up. after that I have a choice.

I will not survive another proceedure, I can have a good time once a week, and that is that.

Be sensible and I have a few years, be stupid, I have a few hours.

I will be sensible.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 04:13 PM

Whatever you have left .... as indeed, the same applies to us all .... enjoy it as best you can !
You have the best attitude Swims.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 12:15 AM

Sounds so good Swims
I'm so glad x

Here to us poorly christmas folk
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Whatever you have left .... as indeed, the same applies to us all .... enjoy it as best you can !
You have the best attitude Swims.
Swim, Morticia's post is very true! I was concerned that we would lose her when she was rushed into hospital... but she is still with us.
Since March I have been having problems with my insulin that is working so well that it kept putting me into a hypo ( low blood sugar that can lead to a coma & death, if not dealt with). Eventually they accepted that it was nothing I did wrong so they changed my insulin.. just before Christmas..... not easy when eating habits over the holiday change so much.
Anyway this morning I got a blood sugar reading of 6.4 , which is very good ... so if I can keep it like that I will be ok. If it goes much lower & I am alone I could easily go to sleep and not wake up again.....but I am doing blood tests about 10 times a day, to make sure I am ok.

We are all going to die one day but, if we are not yet ready to go, the only person who can extend our time here is ourselves....... by following medical advice whether we want to or not So let's set a target to all be here next Christmas.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
S
Since March I have been having problems with my insulin that is working so well that it kept putting me into a hypo ( low blood sugar that can lead to a coma & death, if not dealt with). Eventually they accepted that it was nothing I did wrong so they changed my insulin.. just before Christmas..... not easy when eating habits over the holiday change so much.
Anyway this morning I got a blood sugar reading of 6.4 , which is very good ... so if I can keep it like that I will be ok. If it goes much lower & I am alone I could easily go to sleep and not wake up again.....but I am doing blood tests about 10 times a day, to make sure I am ok.

We are all going to die one day but, if we are not yet ready to go, the only person who can extend our time here is ourselves....... by following medical advice whether we want to or not So let's set a target to all be here next Christmas.
Twinky, do you not have a distinct feeling when you begin to have lowered blood sugar? Shaky, hungry, etc?
I suppose I am fortunate that I can tell exactly when I'm beginning to head toward a hypo, although I haven't actually been there for quite some time - especially over Christmas!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Twinky, do you not have a distinct feeling when you begin to have lowered blood sugar? Shaky, hungry, etc?
I suppose I am fortunate that I can tell exactly when I'm beginning to head toward a hypo, although I haven't actually been there for quite some time - especially over Christmas!
I don't have any warning & never have over more than 30 years, but occasionally I feel a bit tired!
That is the problem as I sometimes sit in an armchair , feel tired so have an afternoon nap ( remember that i get up early every day).
I have been known to go as low as 0.6, yet still managed to check my own blood sugars yet doctors say that should be impossible, but my sister was witness to this Maybe they think I am an alien.
I used to have minor warnings of a hypo, when using animal insulin....but I don't think they produce that any more.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I don't have any warning & never have over more than 30 years, but occasionally I feel a bit tired!
That is the problem as I sometimes sit in an armchair , feel tired so have an afternoon nap ( remember that i get up early every day).
I have been known to go as low as 0.6, yet still managed to check my own blood sugars yet doctors say that should be impossible, but my sister was witness to this Maybe they think I am an alien.
I used to have minor warnings of a hypo, when using animal insulin....but I don't think they produce that any more.
Sorry to hear that, Twinkle. As I said, I suppose I'm just rather fortunate to have those warning signs.

I suppose, like you say, you just have to test your blood glucose regularly. I must say that I've never heard of any measurements as low as 0.6. The lowest I've ever tested (and knew about it beforehand) was a little over 3.

I'm sure you keep something quick to absorb handy. They seem to say jelly babies are the best, but I keep refreshers handy... because I like them!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

28-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sorry to hear that, Twinkle. As I said, I suppose I'm just rather fortunate to have those warning signs.

I suppose, like you say, you just have to test your blood glucose regularly. I must say that I've never heard of any measurements as low as 0.6. The lowest I've ever tested (and knew about it beforehand) was a little over 3.

I'm sure you keep something quick to absorb handy. They seem to say jelly babies are the best, but I keep refreshers handy... because I like them!
Lucozade is very good! I don't have a sweet tooth but you would never believe it as I have sweets or sugary drinks next to every seat I sit on & my bedside table looks like every childs dream.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top