Join for free
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Re: Team GB

The gold goes to Team GB
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Appeal rejected
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2012, 04:49 PM

We have done fantastically well and I am looking forward to the closing ceremony tonight. I understand the flame goes out tonight so what happens at the paralympic games. Does another flame get lit from the flame kept from the original lighting in Greece. We were discussing this at work and no-one seems to know
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

12-08-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
We have done fantastically well and I am looking forward to the closing ceremony tonight. I understand the flame goes out tonight so what happens at the paralympic games. Does another flame get lit from the flame kept from the original lighting in Greece. We were discussing this at work and no-one seems to know
Val, as far as I know the Paralympics have their own torch relay and lighting of the flame. The relay starts on the 24th August and culminates with the lighting on the 29th for the start of the games which run until the 9th of September.

The Games start with the opening at 8.30pm on the 29th.
We are told to expect a spectacular celebration with even a fly past by ‘Aerobility’.

Whatever they come up with will I am sure rival what has gone before albeit on a much smaller scale. I for one am really looking forward to the whole games and cannot wait.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Sam Murray won silver in the Women's modern pentathlon
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK

12-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Final total London 2012
29 gold 17 silver 19 bronze 65 medals, 3rd place in medals table

Beijing 2008
19 gold 13 silver 15 bronze 47 medals, 4th place in medals table
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Val, as far as I know the Paralympics have their own torch relay and lighting of the flame. The relay starts on the 24th August and culminates with the lighting on the 29th for the start of the games which run until the 9th of September.

The Games start with the opening at 8.30pm on the 29th.
We are told to expect a spectacular celebration with even a fly past by ‘Aerobility’.

Whatever they come up with will I am sure rival what has gone before albeit on a much smaller scale. I for one am really looking forward to the whole games and cannot wait.
Thanks for the dates, George ...... I'm really looking forward to the games too..
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 12:49 AM

A wonderful nostalgic moment for me, was when Dick McTaggart appeared on the boxing coverage today. He won the Gold Medal at lightweight in the Melbourne olympics in 1956. Great to see the old boy at 76 still hale and hearty. Remember it well when our school was told the news at the time.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

13-08-2012, 12:56 PM

I watched the closing ceremony expecting ?, well not really sure what. I did not think it would match the opening extravaganza and for sure it didn't.

Just a personal viewpoint but I thought the best part was the joint performance of John Lennon's Imagine by the Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir and the Signing Choir.

I know it was all pre-recorded - the segment showing Lennon himself would have been hard to do in any other way - but it was a brilliant idea, especially the live ending of the piece.The dancers carried 101 fragments of a broken sculpture and formed the face of John, fittingly in the centre of Union flag.

To mime or not to mime, that seemed to be the question for many of the 'acts', what were they scared of ?, it was not as if many were watching. Other riddles came to mind, for example, should George Michael have been allowed to use this stage to blatantly promote his new single?, exactly who were batman and wotsit and the err, The Spice Girls........................why? probably an unfathomable question but at least the Black Cab drivers got close to the stadium for the first time.

Probably an impossible task to follow the opening and the undoubted success of the games themselves but, would it have made more sense to capture the imagination of and inspire the young with more of the music of today instead of the huge emphasis they placed on the past.
Lessons clearly were not heeded after the grevious assault of the nation's auditory canals were perpetrated by Mr McCartney last time round. This time it was the rather sad spectacle of Mr Daltry and his chums and perhaps the even sadder Mr Brian May.

All in all a bit of a let down but hope springs eternal and we can now concentrate on the paralympic games.

Play on.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 02:28 PM

Got to agree with most of what you said Hammer. It was very old hat, apart from a couple of items. Seemed to go on forever, but me and the old gal stuck with it. Thought the Eric Idle act was as bad as Mr bean's effort on the opening ceremony. Surely we can do better than dig up the remains of Queen and The Who ? It was such a shame that this magnificent games ended on such a flat note.

Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top