Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 09:49 PM

Re: Hurrah! Andrew Neil to lead new GB News Channel.

The kick in the rear they all deserve.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Me three.

This is something long overdue. We don't have a TV news service in this country which balances the left-wing view of all of our existing offerings.

And Andrew Neil is the ideal person to front it, he having been kicked out by the BBC for not being left-wing enough. Hopefully, he'll rub the BBC's faces in it!

I certainly look forward to watching it and hopefully it will also be available on non-broadcast sources. If not, I might even watch it illegally. The BBC Police are not to know if I don't let them in and keep the window blind down.

Talking of which, some friends of ours are terrified of ditching their BBC Tax after they saw a 'TV detector van' go down their road just a few weeks ago.
I don't think they believed me when I told them that it is just a bluff and they don't have the ability to tell even whether you have a TV on, let alone what you're watching!
The BBC stopped using "detector vans" donkey's years ago.

Here's a link to an old Daily Mail story on this subject.

Here's another link on how to keep the "licence police" away from your front door.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
The BBC stopped using "detector vans" donkey's years ago.

Here's a link to an old Daily Mail story on this subject.

Here's another link on how to keep the "licence police" away from your front door.
I agree completely. The old detector vans may have been able to detect the operation of an old CRT television, but not today's.
I explained that to our friends, but I'm afraid they are a bit set in their ways and, I suspect, didn't believe me.

If the BBC Police should ever visit us, I intend to deny them entry. No doubt they will try to persuade me otherwise but they'll get nowhere. I did once think about inviting them in just to prove that we don't receive live broadcasts, but having heard how obnoxious they can be, they're going to have to obtain a court order.

Then they can come in and find that we're doing nothing illegal - after they've gone to the trouble of applying to a magistrate!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 11:38 AM

I wish I had the courage of those who refuse to buy a tv licence. As HWMO always informs me, I am far too eager to pay any bill that I don't pay by DD, the minute it is received.
I don't know why I do it but the moment I receive a bill such as the tv licence or British Gas, I am immediately online to pay it! Done, out of the way for another quarter.

It could be because my parents taught me that it was always essential to pay for the roof over our heads first, followed by the bills, then food and lastly, new clothing. I've struggled at times throughout my working life just as others have, but I have never been in debt to anyone in my life. i guess that's why, like others, I am too much of a coward to start now.
Sorry, I am genuinely full of admiration of those who have taken a stand against the BBC.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 11:48 AM

This sums up the BBC in a nutshell.....

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/...by-paul-dacre/
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Ditch those who are overpaid, the so called stars.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I wish I had the courage of those who refuse to buy a tv licence. As HWMO always informs me, I am far too eager to pay any bill that I don't pay by DD, the minute it is received.
I don't know why I do it but the moment I receive a bill such as the tv licence or British Gas, I am immediately online to pay it! Done, out of the way for another quarter.

It could be because my parents taught me that it was always essential to pay for the roof over our heads first, followed by the bills, then food and lastly, new clothing. I've struggled at times throughout my working life just as others have, but I have never been in debt to anyone in my life. i guess that's why, like others, I am too much of a coward to start now.
Sorry, I am genuinely full of admiration of those who have taken a stand against the BBC.
I'm of the same thinking, SG, but I have learned a lot from Big Companies I've worked for, who never pay bills until they have to. Sometimes that takes months, especially if the tax year is ending shortly.

Demand notes, every time!

I like the 0.5% interest I'm getting, from my Bank, and I'll get rich on it!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:04 PM

Whilst I admire the validity of the things your parents taught you. you should be aware that paying for a TV licence is by no means obligatory.

If you do not watch any live broadcast television programmes or BBC iPlayer, you can easily and completely legally cancel your TV licence, as many of us already have done.

If you watch only films and other programmes via the Internet, you do not need a TV licence. One of the easiest ways to do this is to buy an Amazon Fire Stick (around £40) and plug it into an HDMI socket in your TV. There is nothing else to pay, unless you want to pay for Prime (which we do) or Netflix, which provide even more films, etc. Still cheaper than a TV licence and you are not supporting a political organisation!

You can unplug the TV aerial from the back of your TV and then you will not receive broadcast TV programmes.

Simply inform the BBC (look on the internet) that you want to cancel your TV licence, answer a few questions online and that's it. You will have done nothing illegal or even questionable. This is all perfectly legal and acceptable, believe me.

Sorry to drone on, but it upsets me that there are people like yourself who are actually afraid of cancelling your TV licence. Understandable, as we never cease to hear about possible £2000 fines and imprisonment! That sums up the dictatorial attitude of the BBC. Ignore them.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:42 PM

I, for one, can't be bothered with cancelling my BBC licence.

True, I could save 13.12, a month, by doing so, but when I compare that with the cost of my Daily Newspaper (approx 15 pounds a week!) and some other memberships, etc. that i might not even look at at all, the BBC payment seems negligible.

I don't know how much the "independent" TV companies grab, from us, in the form of charging vast sums to advertise, the whole of which is passed on to us by the manufacturer. (and then some).

Making a case to put pressure on the BBC to change, that's worth while, in my opinion, but I think that Boris is, definitely, on board for that exercise.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:49 PM

You're not my ex in disguise are you Shropshiregirl?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sorry to drone on, but it upsets me that there are people like yourself who are actually afraid of cancelling your TV licence. Understandable, as we never cease to hear about possible £2000 fines and imprisonment! That sums up the dictatorial attitude of the BBC. Ignore them.
This is why the BBC is sh!tting bricks over the Government's proposals to decriminalise the lack of a TV licence. They will lose the fact that most peeps do not want a criminal charge lying on their files.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top