Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2019, 11:23 PM

Paying into a.n.other’s bank account

I’m curious as to how ,if one doesn’t have an online account ,do you pay cash into another person’s account they have given you the details of ?

I recently tried to pay an amount over the counter into such an account but Santander ,the bank in question at the time , told me they had stopped that because of the possibility of money laundering .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2019, 11:29 PM

Re: Paying into a.n.other’s bank account

I am surprised your bank said that when you went in there, Zuleiker.

I have transferred money online, but if you can't do that, and the bank won't co-operate, I would imagine you will have to do it the old fashioned way and send a cheque.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am surprised your bank said that when you went in there, Zuleiker.

I have transferred money online, but if you can't do that, and the bank won't co-operate, I would imagine you will have to do it the old fashioned way and send a cheque.
Santander isn’t my bank Mups , it’s the bank of the other person . The reason I’m asking is because if you Google the question quite a few results come up with the exact same reason Santander told me .
As for cheques , havn’t had a cheque book for years .
You would have to know the recipient’s postal address to do that anyway .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 12:13 AM

I know all the financial institutions have tightened up on payments due to the money laundering regulations, you would probably be better going to your own bank and making the payment from there. That way there's a means of tracing the money and that's all they are interested in usually.

Probably you might have to pay that money into your own account first and then get transfer or a BACS payment made to whoever you wish to pay it to. The link below might be of help to you:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...line-transfers
Zuleika
North West UK

26-12-2019, 12:21 AM

Baz that’s what I thought of doing ,going into my own bank with the other person’s details once I receive them .I do know the person btw .
It’s something I’ve never done previously will the bank question me about it ?The amount will be a few thousand .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 12:23 AM

I guess it depends on how much you wanted to pay in. I can kind of understand it if somebody walked in with a big bag of cash but small amounts?..That's a bit precious.
Zuleika
North West UK

26-12-2019, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I guess it depends on how much you wanted to pay in. I can kind of understand it if somebody walked in with a big bag of cash but small amounts?..That's a bit precious.
Santander wouldn’t allow me to put £100 into the other person’s account despite he had given me his sort code , a/c number etc.
As said previously their policy now due to the possibility of money laundering .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Baz that’s what I thought of doing ,going into my own bank with the other person’s details once I receive them .I do know the person btw .
It’s something I’ve never done previously will the bank question me about it ?The amount will be a few thousand .
If you already have that amount in your own account they should just arrange the transfer in the normal way, not sure if they charge for this or not as BACS payments are usually free if done yourself via online banking. Then when you've done that pay the cash in or pay the cash in and then make the payment to the other person's account, again not sure if there will need to be a delay in making that payment but with cash paid in and whatever method paying it out it should be OK I would have thought.

I guess there may be a question asked about where any cash came from if you are paying in cash. Santander have even asked why I've wanted a cash withdrawal when I've had people to pay like builders and gardeners. All I tell them is that's what it's for and nothing else has been said. It's all about the traceability but if you were to have received several small amounts if say, you were in business and took cash payments, then there is no traceability anyway.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Santander isn’t my bank Mups , it’s the bank of the other person . The reason I’m asking is because if you Google the question quite a few results come up with the exact same reason Santander told me .
As for cheques , havn’t had a cheque book for years .
You would have to know the recipient’s postal address to do that anyway .
Not if you put the cheque through one of those automated machines in the bank. Do Santander have those?
Zuleika
North West UK

26-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not if you put the cheque through one of those automated machines in the bank. Do Santander have those?
Getting lost in translation somewhere ...lol ....Santander isn't my bank and I already said I havn't had a cheque book for years .

On the subject if you Google the topic you might come up with a site , as I did , where people are complaining that they .....an example I saw ....as grandparents they cannot deposit a cash payment into a grandchild's bank account any longer .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top