Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 14,966
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-02-2020, 09:44 PM
11

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Dont be so common Annie l expect better from you !
And you say we won? I wont believe that till we actually get our
fishing grounds back and eu boats are queueing up for permission
to fish!!
Donkeyman!
The fishing grounds are a red herring DM! I will wager that most here eat fish once a week at most. Our prawns and tuna are not from these waters. Our access to fish is not controlled by the EU but some mysterious force which means we have a very small selection unless you go to some artisan fishmongers and pay a premium.

Watching Rick Stein's weekends tonight he was in Berlin. Not sure when this was but they had a far better selection of fresh fish in their market than we get in our supermarkets. There's something very wrong here and it's nothing to do with the EU. It's as I've mentioned before, we are in the EU yet when I've been to places such as Spain they have fabulous markets with the most amazing choice of fish produce. We have zilch here. That's our fault. It doesn't sell that's all.
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 26,259
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-02-2020, 11:35 PM
12

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So having an opinion about an unelected Spud somehow puts "the will of the people" at risk? Since when did our politicos and unelected potatoes rise to sainthood?

It seems that if someone saw the image of a potato in a big jobby then nobody would be allowed to ever flush it!

Get over the Brexit campaign people - you won and there's nothing left to fight for, but don't lose sight of reality! A spud is just fast food with no substance, short term satisfaction but could give you a coronary if you get too much of it. Best to have a balanced diet.
Not if its baked, there is probably a Euro Directive on this, if we care to search.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 5,971
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 11:37 AM
13

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Not if its baked, there is probably a Euro Directive on this, if we care to search.
Or half baked Spitty??
Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 5,971
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 11:59 AM
14

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The fishing grounds are a red herring DM! I will wager that most here eat fish once a week at most. Our prawns and tuna are not from these waters. Our access to fish is not controlled by the EU but some mysterious force which means we have a very small selection unless you go to some artisan fishmongers and pay a premium.

Watching Rick Stein's weekends tonight he was in Berlin. Not sure when this was but they had a far better selection of fresh fish in their market than we get in our supermarkets. There's something very wrong here and it's nothing to do with the EU. It's as I've mentioned before, we are in the EU yet when I've been to places such as Spain they have fabulous markets with the most amazing choice of fish produce. We have zilch here. That's our fault. It doesn't sell that's all.
I like the red herring bit Anniez, lol. But you have answered your own
question regarding selection of fish available, you also mention that
we tend to buy our fish from supermarkets and not from local
traditional markets as in eu countries?
We used to have a very large fish market in london called Billingsgate
Which l believe does not exist anymore as it appears that the
supermarkets buy in bulk at what is left of our fishing ports?
And another point is that fishing is not all about what WE eat, but
also about what fish we can sell worldwide in order to improve our
balance of trade figures?
Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Chatterbox
Bread is offline
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 7,910
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 12:30 PM
15

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I like the red herring bit Anniez, lol. But you have answered your own
question regarding selection of fish available, you also mention that
we tend to buy our fish from supermarkets and not from local
traditional markets as in eu countries?
We used to have a very large fish market in london called Billingsgate
Which l believe does not exist anymore as it appears that the
supermarkets buy in bulk at what is left of our fishing ports?
And another point is that fishing is not all about what WE eat, but
also about what fish we can sell worldwide in order to improve our
balance of trade figures?
Donkeyman!

Fish is part of the staple diet in a lot of countries in the EU. These will be huge markets for the UK when we take back the fishing rights to our own territorial waters. Currently, the fish caught by the Spanish, French, Dutch, Danes etc goes directly into their own countries supply chains. In the UK we import our fish from elsewhere because we do not have the species quotas for the fish we need. For example, the Dutch have 90% of the herring quotas... no kippers for us

That changes soon.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 14,966
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 12:42 PM
16

Re: Out to get Dominique?

I somehow do not believe that fishing will turn our economy around. The way things are going Chinese companies may end up catching our fish and selling it back to us!
Reply With Quote
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Chatterbox
Bread is offline
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 7,910
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 02:02 PM
17

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I somehow do not believe that fishing will turn our economy around. The way things are going Chinese companies may end up catching our fish and selling it back to us!
I'm not saying it will turn our economy around - although the forecasts for Brexit Britain look a lot better than the 27 as far as economies go (even Mark Carney was saying this the other day). Fishing controlled by the UK, will, however, boost the economy in all sorts of ways, the fish bring all sorts of other boosts to economy.

I don't know how many times I have to say this but, UK territorial waters belong to the UK. They are not free to plunder by anyone else unless they have a license to do so.
Reply With Quote
shropshiregirl's Avatar
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
shropshiregirl is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,727
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 02:29 PM
18

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The fishing grounds are a red herring DM! I will wager that most here eat fish once a week at most. Our prawns and tuna are not from these waters. Our access to fish is not controlled by the EU but some mysterious force which means we have a very small selection unless you go to some artisan fishmongers and pay a premium.

Watching Rick Stein's weekends tonight he was in Berlin. Not sure when this was but they had a far better selection of fresh fish in their market than we get in our supermarkets. There's something very wrong here and it's nothing to do with the EU. It's as I've mentioned before, we are in the EU yet when I've been to places such as Spain they have fabulous markets with the most amazing choice of fish produce. We have zilch here. That's our fault. It doesn't sell that's all.

Hey Annie, Beg to differ! I do appreciate you said 'most' people eat only 1 Fish meal a week. HWMO and I are certainly not one of them. We eat Fish at least 4 times a week. We love smoked kippers for breakfast at least once a week, we also have Lemon Sole, Haddock Fillets and Hake Fillets, usually served with a lovely Bechamel, Lemon Butter or Parsley sauce, for dinner every week too.

I certainly donít buy them from the supermarket either! Because we live in Shropshire which is 60 miles from the nearest coastline in North Wales, 12 months ago I thought I would look online to see if there was a fresh fish supplier and I came up trumps!!
I found the perfect online fresh fish supplier that I buy from once a month and I cannot fault it.

I am especially looking forward to buying lots of varieties for summer family barbecues when that elusive sun eventually shows its much-missed face.

We buy our fresh fish direct from a shop in Whitby, directly across the road from where the boats come in. The catch goes straight to the auctioneers, back to the shop and out to its customers packed in boxes of ice for next day delivery. Okay, itís £4.95 per delivery, but the prices we pay for the fish are so reasonable, and itís only once a month so itís well worth the charge. Iíve not been disappointed yet.

Please do take a peek I think you will be pleasantly surprised and pleased with the quality and prices.

The Magpieís Whitby Catch.


https://www.thewhitbycatch.co.uk/pro...resh-wet-fish/
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 14,966
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 03:05 PM
19

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hey Annie, Beg to differ! I do appreciate you said 'most' people eat only 1 Fish meal a week. HWMO and I are certainly not one of them. We eat Fish at least 4 times a week. We love smoked kippers for breakfast at least once a week, we also have Lemon Sole, Haddock Fillets and Hake Fillets, usually served with a lovely Bechamel, Lemon Butter or Parsley sauce, for dinner every week too.

I certainly donít buy them from the supermarket either! Because we live in Shropshire which is 60 miles from the nearest coastline in North Wales, 12 months ago I thought I would look online to see if there was a fresh fish supplier and I came up trumps!!
I found the perfect online fresh fish supplier that I buy from once a month and I cannot fault it.

I am especially looking forward to buying lots of varieties for summer family barbecues when that elusive sun eventually shows its much-missed face.

We buy our fresh fish direct from a shop in Whitby, directly across the road from where the boats come in. The catch goes straight to the auctioneers, back to the shop and out to its customers packed in boxes of ice for next day delivery. Okay, itís £4.95 per delivery, but the prices we pay for the fish are so reasonable, and itís only once a month so itís well worth the charge. Iíve not been disappointed yet.

Please do take a peek I think you will be pleasantly surprised and pleased with the quality and prices.

The Magpieís Whitby Catch.


https://www.thewhitbycatch.co.uk/pro...resh-wet-fish/
Hi SG thanks for the link. The prices are very good and I am tempted to put an order in. I do cook fish once a week for us usually sea bream at the moment. I couldn't see this on their list. I see they do proper prawns which I've rarely seen in the supermarket with a British source except for the little ones.

I like tinned tuna or smoked mackerel/ steamed salmon in salads for lunch and i think many people do like tuna if they go for fish. But it's always from another country.
Reply With Quote
Solasch's Avatar
Solasch
Chatterbox
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 8,234
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-02-2020, 03:09 PM
20

Re: Out to get Dominique?

Do they test that fish for radioactivity? It might be caught in the outlet waters from sellafield? Even low doses might harm you, especially reproductive cells. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...25326X16308876

I would be interested to see the number of birth defects in your region.https://www.intechopen.com/online-fi...implications-f
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.