Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 12:08 PM

Re: Is life easier without opinions?

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
But, at some point, you will spend time considering their opinions and either amend or reinforce your own with counter-arguments which then hold in that hypothetical conversation that should have happened which you run through your head.
Eh?...pass

edit...sorry Folks I thought this was in 'general chat'..My mistake.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
If You say so...but the OFF would be a boring ol' place if Everyone did as You say on 'ere...after all..We all enjoy a 'rumble in the jungle' now and then,it gets more Folks signing in
Yes, I agree May it would be boring but we are not all the same so there will always be those who will get drawn into a thread by the 'fishing' comments of others. Then it gets 'heated' and possibly 'nasty' but some of those involved don't realise it's all deliberate and designed to do that. Then there are those who will express their opinions very forcefully, without realising the only person they can realistically ever change, is themselves.

Like you say though "We all enjoy a 'rumble in the jungle' now and then" plus of course as you also say "it gets more Folks signing in".

After all, "variety is the spice of life"!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Opinions are not the issue. The issue is the increasingly unpleasant way with which opinions are engaged with. Back in the 60's when I was a bit of a political firebrand, demonstrating against nuclear weapons, the Vietnam War and anything else I could think of, I didn't feel that I had to hate everyone who disagreed with me. On the contrary, disagreement, no matter how extreme was welcomed as it gave both participants the opportunity to explore each others arguments in a civilised manner. That has disappeared from public discourse and now, any disagreement is met with hatred and (at least) verbal violence.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Opinions are not the issue. The issue is the increasingly unpleasant way with which opinions are engaged with. Back in the 60's when I was a bit of a political firebrand, demonstrating against nuclear weapons, the Vietnam War and anything else I could think of, I didn't feel that I had to hate everyone who disagreed with me. On the contrary, disagreement, no matter how extreme was welcomed as it gave both participants the opportunity to explore each others arguments in a civilised manner. That has disappeared from public discourse and now, any disagreement is met with hatred and (at least) verbal violence.

That's true Mick.
'The Black Lives' Matter Mob even argue with you for keeping quiet, saying that to keep quiet is complicit with being racist!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top