Join for free
Page 7 of 33 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 09:38 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

I had a call today. It was the one that they tell you that your washing machine warranty has expired and need to renew it.
“Oh right says I, what make is the washing machine in question?”
Mumble mumble, “wrong “ says I, and hung up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I had a call today. It was the one that they tell you that your washing machine warranty has expired and need to renew it.
“Oh right says I, what make is the washing machine in question?”
Mumble mumble, “wrong “ says I, and hung up.
Oh you should play him along. Keep him talking for as long as you can, asking questions, saying encouraging things, sounding generally interested and enthusiastic.

I've done that in the past and I can assure you, if you have the time to spare, it can be particularly rewarding.

Of course, he won't be your friend afterwards!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh you should play him along. Keep him talking for as long as you can, asking questions, saying encouraging things, sounding generally interested and enthusiastic.

I've done that in the past and I can assure you, if you have the time to spare, it can be particularly rewarding.

Of course, he won't be your friend afterwards!
Yes. In these days when in self isolation, it just makes the day a bit more interesting, even to talk to another human being. Even if it is a load of rubbish.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Yes. In these days when in self isolation, it just makes the day a bit more interesting, even to talk to another human being. Even if it is a load of rubbish.
Oh no. That's not it.
The real purpose is to keep them occupied for as long as possible on the grounds that they can't be bothering some other people whilst they are tied up talking to you.
I look upon it as a voluntary public service.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 09:05 PM

I had a peculiar one on my landline the other day.

I rarely answer the phone when it rings, always let it go to a/phone and if it's someone I know I answer it then.
Anyway, I answered this one as I thought it was my sister. It wasn't.

It was some computer type voice about BT fraud (I think). I didn't really listen but hung up after a few seconds.

Did 1471:

Anyone had this one? Seems such a long number.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I had a peculiar one on my landline the other day.

I rarely answer the phone when it rings, always let it go to a/phone and if it's someone I know I answer it then.
Anyway, I answered this one as I thought it was my sister. It wasn't.

It was some computer type voice about BT fraud (I think). I didn't really listen but hung up after a few seconds.

Did 1471:

Anyone had this one? Seems such a long number.
Apparently from Romania, ("Who called me" service)

But not many complaints yet.

But, if you don't know the caller, you probably don't want to!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 10:02 AM

Yes, I believe they can buy telephone numbers, but who sells them?

Presumably, it is some government authority which controls telephone numbers in this country. If so, don't they check the identity of applicants?

Well I suppose anyone can claim to have set up a company and request a telephone number, but I would have thought that checks would be made of names and locations and records kept.
If numbers are abused, the issuing authorities should be able to identify the culprits and take action against them, at least closing down the numbers.

Of course, I admit that I don't really know how these things work.
Some just use an automated calling machine, attach it to an outgoing phone line (or many) and start ringing every combination of numbers up to about 10 to 12 digits long.

If anyone picks up, they collect that number as "active". Often they don't even speak to the picker up, as the list of active numbers which they create, country by country, is of great value to marketeers, even those we think would not stoop so low, but will profit from knowing where active lines are.

But then, it's easier to use than a phone book.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 10:23 AM

Yes, I believe they can buy telephone numbers, but who sells them?
When I moved house after the breakup of my marriage I had to get a new phone. I only gave the new ex directory number to 3 places, my parents, my doctor, my bank. After a short time the calls started, not scammers but double glazing and conservatorys sellers. This was a good while back.
Anyway, I spoke to my parents who swore they hadn't given it out, I spoke to the doctors surgery who informed me they would never do that. The bank was the guilty party and it seemed they sell lists of their customers numbers. I was fuming and fell out with them, I had to pay to change my number again and I didn't tell the bank. It was a very long time before I got any more calls.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-09-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
When I moved house after the breakup of my marriage I had to get a new phone. I only gave the new ex directory number to 3 places, my parents, my doctor, my bank. After a short time the calls started, not scammers but double glazing and conservatorys sellers. This was a good while back.
Anyway, I spoke to my parents who swore they hadn't given it out, I spoke to the doctors surgery who informed me they would never do that. The bank was the guilty party and it seemed they sell lists of their customers numbers. I was fuming and fell out with them, I had to pay to change my number again and I didn't tell the bank. It was a very long time before I got any more calls.
The bank?! They have no business doing that.

May I ask which bank it was?

I'm with First Direct and although I have never given them my phone number (as they don't telephone their customers), I have telephoned them quite a lot as that is the best way to deal with them, so I suppose they will now have my number. (They do a lot over the internet now, but it's quite a complicated procedure to go through due to security.)
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 01:38 PM

It was The Clydesdale Bank. Not with them anymore.

Page 7 of 33 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top