Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 08:59 PM

Re: Blaming the poor

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Even if the Government raised the minimum wage to, say, £12 or £15/hr, there would still be people who would be classed as "poor" simply because of the way poverty is defined. Taking a statistical look at salaries, the distribution is far from a normal curve. However, if you consider it as a normal distribution, the below average salaries can be considered "poor" so, by increasing the minimum wage, you will increase the average and move SOME people out of poverty. Yet, by doing so, those that remain below the average will be all the poorer for it because prices will have to rise to compensate for the increased wages being paid.

In my opinion, the best way for anyone of working age to move out of poverty is to improve their employability, and, thus, higher wages, by training and education.
Oh Percy! Where do I start.....
The minimum wage should be abolished, or reduced to A fiver an hour. This in turn would lower the national average and ensure that small companies could afford to employ more people. Labour is just too costly in this country and has priced us out of a global market and reduced many into poverty due to a lack of manual jobs.

Most people who are in poverty are not academic or can not be trained to be doctors, dentists, architects and engineers. They are destined to be manual labourers of which there are very few positions in today's hi tech world, and the more we employ machines, computers and AI to take the place of manual labourers, the more people will end up on the poverty line...

All these robots are achieving is to provide bragging rights for the few scientist, designers and engineers and to make documentaries for the BBC (look how progressive and innovative we are) and providing cheap goods, but does nothing to help the working man, except take away his livelihood.

Only the cream of our school leavers should be attending university, it makes some of them lazy and ill qualified for the real world, and by the time comes for them to enter the big wide world, mostly with qualifications that will never apply to proper employment, they are too old to be retrained or take an apprenticeship. In fact, too over qualified and soft to even go crop picking on farms, hence the need to employ foreign labour.

I used to deliver the post on some of the roughest council estates here in the North where nobody had a proper job, but every house had a sky dish and 52" telly, they all had state of the art smartphones and wore the latest designer gear.....These my friends are the people living in poverty.
Their attitude to the work ethic is zilch, and they are untrainable, but they know how to work the system better than any accountant, and they will never change while it is more beneficial to claim benefits and toss it off all day with a few cans of lager while watching the latest box sets.....
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We do blame the poor in many ways .

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...poor-of-course.
There is an petition for that
https://www.change.org/p/independent...er?signed=true
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
There is an petition for that
Bugger that.....I'm not voting to shut it down on the strength of it's slavery connections...You're playing in to those anarchists hands.....

I don't take a newspaper, and don't like the Guardian, but I will fight for the right of free speech!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Meg I don’t think the community is united .
There is bad feeling everywhere .
I don’t feel connected to my community in any way .
Possibly because I have lived abroad most of my life .
But possibly because the values I learned as a child are now existent .
Just looked on the local Facebook site and some woman in the small nearby country town is asking for people to keep the noise down at night .
Having young children and the windows open in the heat .
She did it politely and reasonably.
And was met with a storm of abuse !
And told don’t live in a town then !
As if everyone has the choice to live in the country and why should she not be able to sleep without rowdiness are 3.00am

I was brought up in a poor household we didn’t eat that well like most Fifties children . Bread and jam were staples yet we were all skinny !
Of course we had no computers and walked everywhere or used public transport .
I don’t remember much community in those days either .
We were not people who were social kept ourselves to ourselves .
Come to think of it I don’t really know what a united community is .
Muddy, Its probably been a decade since I mentioned Social Cohesion on the net, it did not exist then, and, It does not exist now, but, not for Maggies reasons.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Bugger that.....I'm not voting to shut it down on the strength of it's slavery connections...You're playing in to those anarchists hands.....

I don't take a newspaper, and don't like the Guardian, but I will fight for the right of free speech!
I am ?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 10:29 AM

There is no free speech in this country. If there was people would find what they think but dare not say for fear of prosecution was shared by many many others, would get together with others of the same mind, and organise themselves to attack what today we are forced to tolerate.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There is no free speech in this country. If there was people would find what they think but dare not say for fear of prosecution was shared by many many others, would get together with others of the same mind, and organise themselves to attack what today we are forced to tolerate.
It would appear that there is a storm coming Todger, as Baz posted on another thread about protests taking place all across the world. Different things at the moment, but the thread that is weaving it all together seems to be poverty and inequality. Once they all join up there is going to be trouble on a biblical scale and life might not ever be the same again.

Could it be Covid that is the catalyst?
The war between the 'haves' and 'have nots' that has been brewing for hundreds of years is coming to a conclusion I think.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 10:48 AM

The right to free expression is not unlimited.

https://freespeechunion.org
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-08-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The right to free expression is not unlimited.

https://freespeechunion.org
That's definitely something worth considering Cinders....
Thanks for the link...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

It would appear that there is a storm coming Todger, as Baz posted on another thread about protests taking place all across the world. Different things at the moment, but the thread that is weaving it all together seems to be poverty and inequality. Once they all join up there is going to be trouble on a biblical scale and life might not ever be the same again.

Could it be Covid that is the catalyst?
The war between the 'haves' and 'have nots' that has been brewing for hundreds of years is coming to a conclusion I think.
Good post OGF
Yet the gap between the haves and have nots is less in this country than in many .

I don’t understand people really I don’t .
People work at soul destroying jobs for low wages yet others country fawn on an unelected royal family and admire their so called ‘work.’

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top