Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 10:02 AM

best internet provider

what internet provider do you use, and what do you think is the best, I use plusnet and recently it seems to be down quite a lot
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 10:05 AM

Re: best internet provider

Originally Posted by paula ->
what internet provider do you use, and what do you think is the best, I use plusnet and recently it seems to be down quite a lot
Exetel for me and very happy with it. I get a fixed IP address and VOIP both of which you often have to pay extra for.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Hi Paula Some internet providers are owned by BT and 'piggy back' off them eg Plusnet and EE .

I am with EE, the speed is dreadful here because of where I live out in the countryside but that would be the same with any provider unless I pay an exorbitant fee to small company for fibre (£40 a month and still a line to pay for if I want a house phone) . At least if I am having a problem they are quick to run a test and try to sort it out.

Maybe do a speed test and see what is on offer in your area...

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/broa...internet-speed
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Up until 2015 I was with Virgin Media, and foolishly I also had my email address with them. I didn't experience any problems with Virgin other that a ridiculously slow internet speed.

I then received an email from them telling me that I would have to leave Virgin because they only wanted customers who had the high speed fibre and not the copper cables that I had.
Unless I had any objections I would be automatically switched to 'Talk Talk' ....No bloody way!

I changed to BT and set up a Google email account just in case my new provider (BT) went pear shaped again....I then had to notify everyone in my extensive email directory (half a dozen at least) that my email address had been snatched away from me and here was my new one....Changing it at the bank was the worst....They don't trust anyone!

A chap representing BT came and fitted the new Infinity modem and I can't believe the speed! Over the last five years I haven't had a spot of bother, and I can even receive the internet down the yard in the summer house.... How could BT have increased the speed so much (it's faster than me) still using the old copper cables....

At £52 per month, that covers line rental, free landline calls to other landlines and mobiles. Probably a bit steep I know....but the service is brill...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 11:15 AM

Which Magazine Top 3:

Zen Internet 84%
Utility Warehouse 70%
Plusnet 65%

I am with Zen .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 11:44 AM

I've been with Plusnet fibre for just over a month now for the same reason as you. My Virgin fibre kept dropping, especially for some reason, when it rained heavily but they never investigated the problem. I'm also saving myself £23 a month.

Service has been okay so far and I get an average 36mbs
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 12:05 PM

I'm also with Zen. I recently updated to fibre broadband,with very little increase in price. They also gave me free of charge a new router Fritz, with no postage charge. I also have my landline phone with them, which is slightly cheaper than BT. I'd certainly check them out.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 12:17 PM

I think it's a question best asked locally.

I'm signed up to https://nextdoor.co.uk .... you can communicate with people in nearby streets for something like this, or further afield ....

Virgin is a no go option around here.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Up until 2015 I was with Virgin Media, and foolishly I also had my email address with them. I didn't experience any problems with Virgin other that a ridiculously slow internet speed.

I then received an email from them telling me that I would have to leave Virgin because they only wanted customers who had the high speed fibre and not the copper cables that I had.
Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've been with Plusnet fibre for just over a month now for the same reason as you. My Virgin fibre kept dropping, especially for some reason, when it rained heavily but they never investigated the problem. I'm also saving myself £23 a month.
I am with Virgin Media, and have been for at least 20 years.
We had all sorts of connection problems throughout 2015 and 2016, which should have sent messages to me, but I persevered.

It was then much better for a few years until July of this year when, again, for a period of ten days we (and other subscribers locally) experienced an ongoing 'intermittent' loss of signal. The fact that, although it was a protracted problem, as it was intermittent and not continuous, customers were not entitled to any refunds of payments.
There have been continual occasional outages since then.

I have written to VM to complain about their service three times since July and have yet to receive a single reply. I think that demonstrates their poor customer service record.

I, too, some time ago decided to open a Gmail account as I wanted something reliable for my emails. I still have a VM email account, but rarely look at it as I have learnt not to rely on that company.

I should like to move from VM to a different company for my internet supply but, unfortunately, there are no other fibre suppliers operating in my area.

I presently receive a fast 100 Mb connection, though I don't need such a speed. I'd have to change to a non-fibre supplier offering 10 Mb, although I'm sure I'd receive a superior service from them.

Unfortunately, we need enough capacity and speed to connect three security cameras, a Hive heating control system, a VOIP telephone, a TV Fire Stick, two laptops and two smartphones, although not all are used at the same time. For that reason, I'm not sure whether the normal 10 Mb would be sufficient. Neither am I able to find out whether it would cope, other than by transferring and hoping for the best!

I am, therefore, still with VM and living with the occasional outage which, thankfully, seems to be becoming less frequent. Nevertheless I could never recommend VM to a prospective new customer for the reasons I have given.

However, given half a chance, I'd be off straight away to an alternative fibre supplier if and when one should extend into this area.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 01:41 PM

I am with Talk Talk which is pretty good when all is going well but if you get a problem, you end up making long calls to India. Their customer service operators are very polite but sometimes difficult to understand and if you go 'off script' you have had it. I was without internet for almost five weeks and knew exactly what the problem was (with BT) but had to go through the whole rigmarole of the script before arriving at what I knew.

Can I recommend Talk Talk? Undecided really but then I reckon they are all a pile of poo when it comes down to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top