Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:16 PM

Re: scam calls

Originally Posted by summer ->
I had one yesterday and all it said was Goodbye...I've had it a few times now. Its a bit disconcerting I mean what can they achieve with that call...very peculiar
It is merely a robotic dialler which tries sequential numbers by the hundreds. Once a call is answered it tries to pass the call to an operator to try the scam on you. When an operator is not available it says "Goodbye" and hangs up however I suspect it remembers the number for later use though I don't know for sure.

Nothing to worry about.

The paranoia about premium numbers is astounding, unless you actually dial the number (in this country they start with 19) they cannot connect you remotely.

In the days of the dial up modems it was possible but that is long past.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
Hahaha pmsl.
Brilliant.

Thanks, reg;

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh! I don't suppose you happen to have their email address, do you?
No, JBR

So you are still fit and nubile?

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is merely a robotic dialler which tries sequential numbers by the hundreds. Once a call is answered it tries to pass the call to an operator to try the scam on you. When an operator is not available it says "Goodbye" and hangs up however I suspect it remembers the number for later use though I don't know for sure.

Nothing to worry about.

The paranoia about premium numbers is astounding, unless you actually dial the number (in this country they start with 19) they cannot connect you remotely.

Thank you Bruce ..that explains it
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
No, JBR

So you are still fit and nubile?

Oh, I like to think so.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 10:59 AM

I get lots of Emails inviting me to join in Sexual Orgies with nubile couples.
Why would anyone think a Grandma would be interested ?

However I do understand there are now various Web sites depicting Granny & Granda Sex!!

Blimey!! Not a pretty sight swinging naked from the chandlers. Especially with bodies in stages of atrophy.

I would rather have a nice cup of Tea and a Chocolate Eclair
Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Nothing to worry about.

Cheers Bruce.

Here's an article on the Amazon con.

Pretty standard stuff.....obviously tried and tested in different guises but the same principle.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ne-keypad.html
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

03-09-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, I like to think so.

Well, you must be keeping someone happy!!

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

03-09-2020, 02:31 PM

Some Cold Callers will wait a few seconds before answering
I immediatly put the phone down and eventually they give up.
Alsoif they do get through,why does a complete stranger want to know 'How I am today' ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 05:27 PM

Well, you must be keeping someone happy!!

Oh, she couldn't be happier. I am, apparently, the best thing since sliced bread.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 05:47 PM

Picked up the landline phone to a computer generated voice, saying something about a plumber is coming but "I will be out", played it again, made no sense, saved it, hung up. Dialed 1471 was told 03333 40000 called. Googled the number and lots of talk about confusing messages. Ms d00d thinks it could be a text from a neighbour that gets translated into AI voice when sent to a landline. I'm doing nothing.

Anyone familiar with the number?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top