Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 06:10 PM

Re: Mains powered smoke alarm

You could buy a switch patress ( plastic back box ) and a blanking plate and remove your smoke alarm and just use choccy blocks inside the patress, as long as it’s not too unsightly
If it’s not on it’s own circuit ( which I would’ve thought it should be) it would depend on what type of circuit was used, it might go back to a joint box in the loft, or taken from the nearest light
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 06:24 PM

I presume that if the mains fails the alarm will go off as a backup battery is included

I can't see any problem . just turn off the electricity at the mains first of all.
then you can just cut off any feed to the transformer if the feed cables disappear.
Next insert the feed cable ends into a terminal block as below

old one but still usable . forgot to remove the bit of fluff

and finally wrap with insulating tape.
If you then want to replace with another mains powers unit then the connection point is readily available

However first of all I would find out in consumer box which fuse is protecting the smoke alarm by process of elimination.

If the consumer box is labelled as it should be, it will at least enable you to find out which circuit it is on, (power or lighting) and which one. Then you have an idea of where to start looking for the connection point.

One useful bit of kit is an electrical tester to find out if the wiring is live or not.
This is mine, many years old (must be at least 30 years old if not older) but works right across the power range

or get an electrician in to do exactly the same and pay through the nose for it

Don't know about the latest IEE regs, but it used to be you can do the work yourself but it has to be passed by a qualifed electrician
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have a mains powered smoke alarm in our hall which, to be honest, I had forgotten about!
I have two battery powered smoke alarms elsewhere in the house which I am about to replace, as they are at the end of their stated life. The new units I have sent for have a guaranteed life of 10 years including lithium batteries.

I was also going to replace the mains powered unit, but it occurred to me that a similar replacement would also have a guaranteed life of at most 10 years, and would cost at least as much as the battery powered ones I have ordered, so why mess about with another mains powered one?

Now for my question. If I remove the mains powered unit, what do I do with the trailing wires? I assume these lead from a transformer somewhere in the loft (it's a bungalow) and that is likely to be attached to the nearest light fitting. If so, the loft is boarded in that area, so I'm going to have to remove floorboards to get at it.
I'd prefer to remove the lot: transformer and attached cables. Is there an easy way of doing that, or is it safe just to leave the lot in the loft, still attached to the mains supply?
Mains-powered smoke alarms don't have separate transformers, everything is in-built. You would be well advised to replace this and not rely solely on battery operated types. You can fit battery types as an addition to a mains powered detector if there aren't the requisite number of mains-operated smoke alarms installed, not installed close enough to a bedroom, or there is a`dead` area that the smoke alarm can't reach. I've seen this in numerous properties where the number of detectors has been reduced as cost-cutting exercise. If your mains-powered detector is in a hallway, you should replace this with an optical type with battery back-up. I only fit AICO smoke alarms - this one in particular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aico-Ei146R...s%2C196&sr=8-6

It is reasonably priced (£23 for ten years is a drop in the ocean) and easy to install. If no interlink, it's a simple live & neutral connection to the inbuilt connector block.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I got rid of my mains powered one ages ago too, JBR.
I prefer the battery ones, I can see to them myself easier.

Judd will be able to help you about the wiring when he logs back on.
Tut, tut.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

11-09-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I presume that if the mains fails the alarm will go off as a backup battery is included

I can't see any problem . just turn off the electricity at the mains first of all.
then you can just cut off any feed to the transformer if the feed cables disappear.
Next insert the feed cable ends into a terminal block as below

old one but still usable . forgot to remove the bit of fluff

and finally wrap with insulating tape.
If you then want to replace with another mains powers unit then the connection point is readily available

However first of all I would find out in consumer box which fuse is protecting the smoke alarm by process of elimination.

If the consumer box is labelled as it should be, it will at least enable you to find out which circuit it is on, (power or lighting) and which one. Then you have an idea of where to start looking for the connection point.

One useful bit of kit is an electrical tester to find out if the wiring is live or not.
This is mine, many years old (must be at least 30 years old if not older) but works right across the power range

or get an electrician in to do exactly the same and pay through the nose for it

Don't know about the latest IEE regs, but it used to be you can do the work yourself but it has to be passed by a qualifed electrician
You presume incorrectly. The battery is there to maintain the smoke alarm should the electricity go off for some reason.

Incidentally, old-style connector blocks aren't recommended any longer, they've been replaced with `Wago` style push-fit connectors and cage clamps. ALL connections used to join cables together should be enclosed within a suitable enclosure such as a `choc-box` used for lighting circuits, or a WAGO box used for socket/cooker circuits.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You presume incorrectly. The battery is there to maintain the smoke alarm should the electricity go off for some reason.

Incidentally, old-style connector blocks aren't recommended any longer, they've been replaced with `Wago` style push-fit connectors and cage clamps. ALL connections used to join cables together should be enclosed within a suitable enclosure such as a `choc-box` used for lighting circuits, or a WAGO box used for socket/cooker circuits.
I said I am not up to date with the latest but looks as if once used it can't be reused, a step towards a throwaway world
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

11-09-2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I said I am not up to date with the latest but looks as if once used it can't be reused, a step towards a throwaway world
The push-fits and cage-clamps can be re-used if needed, the cage clamps in particular. They have clamp and release levers for the purpose. Further, they can be used where access to cable connections is limited or non-existent. A fit and forget solution.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Mains-powered smoke alarms don't have separate transformers, everything is in-built. You would be well advised to replace this and not rely solely on battery operated types. You can fit battery types as an addition to a mains powered detector if there aren't the requisite number of mains-operated smoke alarms installed, not installed close enough to a bedroom, or there is a`dead` area that the smoke alarm can't reach. I've seen this in numerous properties where the number of detectors has been reduced as cost-cutting exercise. If your mains-powered detector is in a hallway, you should replace this with an optical type with battery back-up. I only fit AICO smoke alarms - this one in particular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aico-Ei146R...s%2C196&sr=8-6

It is reasonably priced (£23 for ten years is a drop in the ocean) and easy to install. If no interlink, it's a simple live & neutral connection to the inbuilt connector block.
The one that appears above looks even better. It includes a CO alarm for £20 with 10 life as well.

It might be an easier option just to replace the mains-powered alarm with one of the above. Just a matter of rewiring, which I'm sure I'm capable of.

The other two alarms I've already sent for are battery-only, but have a guaranteed life of 10 years (lithium battery). They're from Safelincs, a fire-service recommended company, so I think I'd trust them. I test them regularly anyway.

Incidentally, Safelincs is the company I got our 'water-mist' (brilliant invention - can even be used on electrical fires) fire extinguisher from.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 11:31 PM

There ya go JBR.
Our Judsy knows his stuff.
Good luck with it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There ya go JBR.
Our Judsy knows his stuff.
Good luck with it.
Of course he does. He's a Yorkshireman.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top