Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 09:36 PM

Re: Post office yet again

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Yes again the item via royal mail is shown as delivered but not to this address. The service is terrible I am sure they can't read, so lodged a complaint yet again.
Got so bad that I only get 2 out of 3 parcels now
Forgive me for saying so Realspeed, but your front door is perhaps a little too far for the postman or delivery driver to see the number clearly. I'm sure they would really appreciate it if you were to put the number by the front gate. We live in a large terraced property practically onto the street itself but I still have the number on the front door AND on the front wall.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 09:39 PM

There are some easy and creative ideas here. Particularly like the plant pots : https://homebnc.com/best-creative-house-number-ideas/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Forgive me for saying so Realspeed, but your front door is perhaps a little too far for the postman or delivery driver to see the number clearly. I'm sure they would really appreciate it if you were to put the number by the front gate. We live in a large terraced property practically onto the street itself but I still have the number on the front door AND on the front wall.
I don't have a front gate. The end of the cal de sac leads straight onto a three way shared drive with each house having their own drive from it. dead posh it sounds don't it? the photo gives some idea

don't want to appear grand but as soon as you get into this part of the estate you straight away known you are talking about houses in another higher price bracket.
My place ends well before where that bush is on the right well back from the cal de sac so can't or pointless putting my house number there
all the houses are 4 bed and different styles and layouts but match each other.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Yes again the item via royal mail is shown as delivered but not to this address. The service is terrible I am sure they can't read, so lodged a complaint yet again.
Got so bad that I only get 2 out of 3 parcels now
Our Royal Mail postman, a very nice chap, is no problem at all. Of course, we give him a card with £10 every Christmas, so perhaps we get preferential service!

As for house numbers, we have one at the bottom of the steps - you can't go past without seeing it, another on the side of the house and, of course, one on the front door.

Our real problem is with couriers from delivery companies and, of course, some are worse than others.
The thing we find most is that we get deliveries (and curries, etc.) for no. 38A (we are 38). It's not exactly rocket science, is it? Then again, I find that some courier workers are rather like re-usable condoms - they are a little thick.

Only the other day, after a ring of the doorbell, I went to the front door to see an enormous slab of some sort fastened on top of a pallet. The courier, all smiles waved and was just about to run off, when I called him back and pointed to the clearly marked label - 38A.
"Oh," he said, "I have to take all way back down steps?"
"Yes." I replied, with a small smile.
Well I wasn't going to carry it round to next door!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:29 PM

My friend has waited in all day, today for an important delivery via Royal Mail. It never arrived.
He called in at the Royal Mail parcel office at around 5pm. They searched for it for 25 minutes but couldn’t find the parcel.
He was told to call back before 8pm this evening as that’s when they closed.
He went back and the parcel was located. What an unnecessary palaver..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Our Royal Mail postman, a very nice chap, is no problem at all. Of course, we give him a card with £10 every Christmas, so perhaps we get preferential service!

As for house numbers, we have one at the bottom of the steps - you can't go past without seeing it, another on the side of the house and, of course, one on the front door.

Our real problem is with couriers from delivery companies and, of course, some are worse than others.
The thing we find most is that we get deliveries (and curries, etc.) for no. 38A (we are 38). It's not exactly rocket science, is it? Then again, I find that some courier workers are rather like re-usable condoms - they are a little thick.

Only the other day, after a ring of the doorbell, I went to the front door to see an enormous slab of some sort fastened on top of a pallet. The courier, all smiles waved and was just about to run off, when I called him back and pointed to the clearly marked label - 38A.
"Oh," he said, "I have to take all way back down steps?"
"Yes." I replied, with a small smile.
Well I wasn't going to carry it round to next door!
Ah you see I would understand the confusion. You should put a sign saying "NOT 38A, try next door", but I suspect you enjoy the fun that comes with telling people yourself!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:58 PM

Get the Boy Scouts to stencil the number on the kerb. They do that here on Bob a Job week to raise money (or at least they used to).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ah you see I would understand the confusion. You should put a sign saying "NOT 38A, try next door", but I suspect you enjoy the fun that comes with telling people yourself!
Actually, having met with this problem so many times, I suggested to Marge that I do just that:

"This is NOT 38A" in big letters.

But she wouldn't have it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-09-2020, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Actually, having met with this problem so many times, I suggested to Marge that I do just that:

"This is NOT 38A" in big letters.

But she wouldn't have it.
Well I'm not going to disagree with Marge as we all admire her. But you do have a funny address.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 09:13 AM

Sorry guys... Royal Mail has gone to the dogs since I left....

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top