Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:42 PM

Re: Central Heating Flushing?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Steve. I've read about balancing before, but yours is the clearest explanation I've seen.

I've been thinking about having a flush, but there are some things I think need doing first.

A bathroom radiator is quite rusty underneath and I think needs replacing. Also, our living room radiator needs bleeding fairly regularly, so I assume there is some corrosion inside and that might need replacing too.

If two radiators (or maybe more!) are to be replaced, I assume that the system would need to be drained as well, so a flush might be best left until that's done. I hope I'm right!

Hope you're keeping well, by the way.
Thanks JBR, however, I cannot take the credit for the write-up. It was written by a friend of mine from the 'dark side ) If you are having to bleed the living room rad frequently, it could indicate a system fault. If you have an open-vented system, check the small expansion tank in the loft. How dirty is the water? Does it have a lid on the tank? (it should have to stop the ingress of debris - therefore, not getting into your system) I would suggest if you are replacing all of the radiators, then drain and flush the system. Then, you can add a flushing agent according to the manufacturers instructions.
We are both well mate and might be able to take a trip oop North later in the year
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:45 PM

Ah, yes of course. I can see the sense there.
However, at least one valve (on a different radiator) fails to shut off even if I turn the TRV down to zero.

I assume it wouldn't be possible to freeze the inlet pipe below the radiator in order to change the valve, would it?
You could freeze the pipe, but if you are going to change the rads too, just drain the system. Easy to do and if you get stuck, you have my number
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Thanks JBR, however, I cannot take the credit for the write-up. It was written by a friend of mine from the 'dark side ) If you are having to bleed the living room rad frequently, it could indicate a system fault. If you have an open-vented system, check the small expansion tank in the loft. How dirty is the water? Does it have a lid on the tank? (it should have to stop the ingress of debris - therefore, not getting into your system) I would suggest if you are replacing all of the radiators, then drain and flush the system. Then, you can add a flushing agent according to the manufacturers instructions.
We are both well mate and might be able to take a trip oop North later in the year
No, it's a closed system.
Replacing all of the radiators sounds a bit expensive, to be honest.
Let me know if you're both coming anywhere local.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:50 PM

You could freeze the pipe, but if you are going to change the rads too, just drain the system. Easy to do and if you get stuck, you have my number
Very kind of you, but I'm aware that you're at the other end of the country! Thanks anyway.
gasman
Kent, UK

24-02-2020, 12:04 AM

Very kind of you, but I'm aware that you're at the other end of the country! Thanks anyway.
My phone travels
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-02-2020, 12:21 AM

My phone travels

Yes, they're very useful. Thanks for the offer and I might give you a call!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top