Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:00 PM

Deadly mexico

For those considering travel to Mexico.

Mexico, without any doubt is one of the most dangerous countries on Earth. Aside from the drug gangs and corrupt police, just simply walking around in the cities can be life threatening.
Case in point: No one in Mexico takes any traffic laws into consideration when driving. It is common for Mexican drivers to totally ignore red lights. Getting a speeding ticket is practically unheard of. In any civilized country, driving at night without any headlights would soon attract the attention of the police. Not so in Mexico. Every time I go out at night, I see at least one car without any headlights. And one-way streets ? Mexicans view that as a mere suggestion.

Are those drivers drunk ? Stoned ? Perhaps so but not necessarily. The general attitude of Mexicans seems to be "I'm going to do what I feel like and to hell with every body else.

So, if you do decide to go to Mexico, I have 2 strong suggestions for you.
1.) When out and about, walking around, and you need to cross the street, DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT, assume that the electric signs that say "Walk" means you are safe to cross. Big mistake ! Have your head on a swivel looking for oncoming cars.
2.) IMO it is suicidal to rent any car in Mexico. Don't do it --- ever. If you get into an accident it will be your fault even if you were stopped at a red light. Why ? You are a foreigner.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:43 PM

Re: Deadly mexico

So i'm guessing you don't work for the Mexican Tourist Board?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:00 PM

Same in Brazil. D-I-Laws father was held up at gun point while at the traffic lights. They actually turn them off at night so mororist don't have to stop.
Even daughter in law refused to become one of San Paulo's governors when she was invited , she told us the if she became one and didn't do as the mafia said she would disappear for good
We go and stay in a gated community with armed guards at the community entrance
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:18 PM

I find it extremely interesting that former Spanish colonies, as compared to former British colonies, are almost always corrupt and crawling with drug kings. The former British colonies that I have been in are law abiding and civilized places.

I have spent 9 years in Mexico and 7 years The Philippines and I have found them to be exceedingly corrupt. It, therefore seems to me that the Spanish did an excellent job of teaching the native inhabitants how to steal everything that was not nailed down. The British, on the other hand, seem to have brought and taught civilized behavior.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:18 PM

I've lived in Northern California but never went anywhere near Mexico. So I have no personal experience of it. Most of the Spanish speaking people I met where I lived in San Francisco were of Mexican heritage and by and large they seemed like OK people to me. I have only met a few Mexicans here in Australia and I have to say they were not the most pleasant of Spanish speaking tourists. They sure are not liked by the Spanish community here. I don't know details though. Are you Mexican BM?

Postscript..You just answered that. You are not?..I have to say there is no shortage of gangsters and drug barons in English speaking countries. Criminality has no ethnic or racial boundaries. Many of the people I have known from Spanish speaking countries..Peru, Chile, Argentina and Spain have been delightful and very civilised. I think it has more to do with the cultures that develop in individual countries rather than base origins. But I could be totally wrong of course. This is just my experience. Funnily enough I have known people who I knew were criminals but were . very polite and gracious to me. Then I have met "upstanding pillars of the community" who made themselves out to be cleaner and more than Snow White, spruiking their Christian morality etc..who were horrible people. You never know.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:41 PM

My neighbour recently went to Mexico for two weeks and had a wonderful time. She has a friend who owns a hotel there.
bakerman
Mexico

05-02-2020, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My neighbour recently went to Mexico for two weeks and had a wonderful time. She has a friend who owns a hotel there.
Yes, I understand. The Mexico police do enforce the laws in the predominately tourist areas. The remainder of the county is another story, however.
bakerman
Mexico

06-02-2020, 12:45 AM

About a month ago a family group of American missionaries and their children were slaughtered, and I do mean slaughtered, along the side of the road. Yes, even the infants were slaughtered. They were traveling in a convoy of 3 vehicles. This week-end I read that the local chief of police was arrested for their murders. that my friends is the real Mexico, which unfortunately gets little press.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 04:39 AM

Go to Playa Del Carmen it’s FABULOUS !
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 06:17 AM

I've been down there plenty and have driven or was a passenger in our cars. We've always played it safe, making sure we carried Mexcian insurance in addition to our own, and have never driven at night. I have to agree that the best rule of practice is to stay near the more touristy areas and to drive with extra vigilance, watching mirrors and leaving enough space around you at traffic lights so you aren't vulnerable. Going on tours is generally safer than venturing off on your own.

I loved spending my young years roaming up and down the Baja coast, and traveling from Cancun to Merida, but I sure wouldn't want my kids doing the same.

Maybe if Americans, Californians in particular, could have fun - or even brush their teeth - without being jacked up on something, Mexico wouldn't be such an unholy place these days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top