Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 09:40 PM

Re: So What Now With Huawei Being Awarded G5 Access

I understand that it's a more powerful network but I don't understand why it is so important to productivity. Gamers perhaps.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 09:48 PM

We where not allowed Apple phones at work, for security reasons.

Just out of interest swims, why couldn’t you use Apple phone’s?
I thought they were harder to hack..?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I understand that it's a more powerful network but I don't understand why it is so important to productivity. Gamers perhaps.
The WWW is now extensively used for remote control and access of all sorts of things for example switching electricity distribution grids, water distribution, managing of sewage works, management of gas distribution grids, control and management of railway signalling systems, traffic lights in towns and cities, and so very much more. Even reading "smart" meters relies on 'tinterweb.

Then there's international finance, banking, and believe it or not even interactive sex toys. Really
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 10:01 PM

Apparently the amount of traffic on 5G is awesome, but it has nowhere near the range of 4G. It can be affected by trees and other obstacles. Whereas a house can be completely covered by 4G wifi, only one room can be served at a time by 5G wifi.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The WWW is now extensively used for remote control and access of all sorts of things for example switching electricity distribution grids, water distribution, managing of sewage works, management of gas distribution grids, control and management of railway signalling systems, traffic lights in towns and cities, and so very much more. Even reading "smart" meters relies on 'tinterweb.

Then there's international finance, banking, and believe it or not even interactive sex toys. Really
I know that we are increasingly reliant on the web, but I'm just trying to understand why this change to 5G is so revolutionary and how it will improve our productivity. For example take railway signalling. How will 5G lead to an improvement in railway signalling that will lead to an increase in GDP? Why is this so crucial to adding value? For the ordinary person what will this mean? We already seem to function ok with 4G, it's more mobile coverage that still has gaps.

I was watching Cold Feet last night. They were stranded on Scafell Pike in the lakes with no mobile signal. Now this surprised me because I was amazed back in 2004 when I switched on my phone at the top of Great Gable after an energetic scramble only to find a perfect signal with 5 bars. That was before Any of the G's. But in parts of the country it's another story. In the New Forest for example you can lose the signal. Even in towns near Cambridge there is a poor signal in places. Is 5G going to somehow resolve this when the mobile networks are still so patchy? Or don't the mobile networks need to have their act together to make it more worthwhile? I'm just trying to understand the productivity angle in rolling this out.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-01-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Apparently the amount of traffic on 5G is awesome, but it has nowhere near the range of 4G. It can be affected by trees and other obstacles. Whereas a house can be completely covered by 4G wifi, only one room can be served at a time by 5G wifi.
Are they trying to move us away from reliance on the landline old phone network and move us totally to the mobile network? Because I thought it was going the other way with a big push on increasing high speed cable laying in areas that were missed by the original NTL installations back in the 90s.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 10:15 PM

I know that we are increasingly reliant on the web, but I'm just trying to understand why this change to 5G is so revolutionary and how it will improve our productivity. For example take railway signalling. How will 5G lead to an improvement in railway signalling that will lead to an increase in GDP? Why is this so crucial to adding value? For the ordinary person what will this mean? We already seem to function ok with 4G, it's more mobile coverage that still has gaps.

I was watching Cold Feet last night. They were stranded on Scafell Pike in the lakes with no mobile signal. Now this surprised me because I was amazed back in 2004 when I switched on my phone at the top of Great Gable after an energetic scramble only to find a perfect signal with 5 bars. That was before Any of the G's. But in parts of the country it's another story. In the New Forest for example you can lose the signal. Even in towns near Cambridge there is a poor signal in places. Is 5G going to somehow resolve this when the mobile networks are still so patchy? Or don't the mobile networks need to have their act together to make it more worthwhile? I'm just trying to understand the productivity angle in rolling this out.
In a nutshell Annie, it will carry loads more traffic, but with not so much range.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-01-2020, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
In a nutshell Annie, it will carry loads more traffic, but with not so much range.
Do you have any worked example of how that will help Joe Bloggs do his job? What is all the fuss about is my question. I mean it seems to be causing an international fall but and nobody seems to be know why it's so crucial to our survival. Seems that it's all about short term shareholder wealth rather than any tangible benefit or real GDP growth.

We are increasingly reliant on flawed technologies. Built in flaws perhaps deliberate.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-01-2020, 10:23 PM

Are they trying to move us away from reliance on the landline old phone network and move us totally to the mobile network? Because I thought it was going the other way with a big push on increasing high speed cable laying in areas that were missed by the original NTL installations back in the 90s.
Most people now want to access the internet on their smartphone while on the move Annie, things like sat nav and live traffic reports etc, but Todger should have also mentioned things like video coupling from your home cctv system, and turning lights and heating on remotely. Hospitals use the internet to transmit a patients stats from the ambulance while on route, It's all going to need a system that can handle the increase.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-01-2020, 10:29 PM

Do you have any worked example of how that will help Joe Bloggs do his job? What is all the fuss about is my question. I mean it seems to be causing an international fall but and nobody seems to be know why it's so crucial to our survival. Seems that it's all about short term shareholder wealth rather than any tangible benefit or real GDP growth.

We are increasingly reliant on flawed technologies. Built in flaws perhaps deliberate.
Greater efficiency Annie, more people working from home. And customer contact anywhere in the world at your fingertips.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top