Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Re: Wretched hospital food

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm asking I;m nosey, don't tell me to mind my own business
It was down to a misunderstanding. Let's leave it at that.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Ooer! AT, Obviously we have no right to ask you your business regarding your 'deportation' years ago, but pray do tell us about the food you were served while you were waiting for your plane ride home!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Ooer! AT, Obviously we have no right to ask you your business regarding your 'deportation' years ago, but pray do tell us about the food you were served while you were waiting for your plane ride home!!
Glue. Sorta porridge but not. Some seemed to be a sort of stewed maize, some yams complete with dirt, once potato and greens soup, all nauseating.

Drinking water - I asked to have a bit of domestos bleach added to it and ended up drinking (very) dilute bleach but it was safer than raw water.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Susan M, IMO it is the fault of the hospital administrators. I think they simply just don't care.
Sadly, this is very true!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:13 PM

My only experience of hospital food was when I gave birth.

The night before I was due to be induced I was served up a slab of bright pink pork pie on a lettuce leaf .

After that I can't say what it was we were given, it was all soft and grey including the cups of tea. My husband bought in sandwiches.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 09:22 PM

Hospital Wards can be warm & friendly.

There might be people to have conversations with, which some don't get at home!

If the food was good, many of the punters would never go home!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Once upon another lifetime many years ago ( during one of my five lifes ) i was a professional cook. I cooked 6 days a week in a very busy pub , home cooked good quality, my food was delicious i was told .

I dont understand how hospital food can be so awful in this day and age when there are ways of keeping food hot and freshly supplied . Even school meals are tasty my granchildten love them and there are hundreds of meals cooked daily . I wonder if there is a head cook who tastes these hospital meals as I gather they are outsourced privately. Someone is making a profit somewhere . Airplane meals are tasty, so why not hospital food .

Id love to take a walk through a hospital kitchen for a few days and observe

Ditto! I worked in catering many moons ago too and there really is no excuse for crap hospital food. I worked in the canteen of an iron foundry with over 4,000 of a workforce. Our food was really very good (I wasn't the cook so can't claim the credit!) and it was freshly made on site every day.
I think that is the problem with a lot of hospital food, it is often prepared offsite in one giant factory and then distributed to local hospitals and institutions. I suspect it is then microwaved which won't help. On the other hand that's what they do with aeroplane food, which, as has already been said, isn't that bad and is often really quite good!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 10:06 PM

Then there are the people on my 8 bed ward. we had one that refused to stop smoking when asked to by the nurse. Wow in came the ward sister and demanded he either went outside or stopped. Again he refused so the sister chucked him out not only from the ward but out of the hospital. Shortest hospital srtay in history 20 minutes tops.

Then there was another bible puncher who kept drooning on about his religikon and the friends in his church (not one cane to visit by the way). By the second day of listing to his beliefs etc ,weak as I was, I told him in no uncertain terms to " F belt up" . All he had done was cracked a couple of ribs and danaged a lung.

That is all you want when you are ********. Eventually I left the hospital vertical and not horizontal
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 11:45 PM

When Mr Mags was in hospital a couple of years ago, there was a choice of food which he said was very good.
Also my SIL was in the same hospital last year and he praised the food and the staff there as he had to have a special diet as his mouth was numb from his operation and he couldn't swallow properly. They sorted that by giving him a soft food diet with freshly cooked food.

I don't think any hospital adds salt to their food now but if your wise to that you could always take your own salt in or get someone to take some in for you.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 03:04 PM

Insurance companies insists that the food be awful so you will not want to stay any longer than necessary.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top