Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Re: Boris Johnson urged to fire adviser who has voiced support for eugenics

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Whatever happened to the freedom of expression, thought and speech we are all quick to defend? Are we now reduced by the woke brigade to being fired or forced to resign for the sake of an opinion given years ago. If so then we could lose half the government, in fact I go so far to say that there wouldn't be anyone left in the country to govern or advise. As usual it was mealy mouthed, double standards Labour and Liberal MPs who called for his sacking. Probably in an attempt to make themselves relevant again.
Would you say the same had he been anti Semitic?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Had - past tense. Doesn't mean to say that someone's views haven't changed.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 06:28 PM

Let's get it into perspective. He was hired think think up new ideas. Like many people who think outside the box he was probably a little eccentric some ideas would be good, some bad, the government is not bound to accept them.

If you hire someone to think the unthinkable they are not going to do that if they fear for their job. As for anti-semitic, it's nothing like it but even if it were then he's entitled to his opinion so long as he doesn't advocate violence or discrimination. You can't force people to like others, if you do you just drive it underground.

As Judd has already pointed out, it was all in the past.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 10:27 PM

"all in the past" is an interesting angle for something that has no statute of limitations. I thought he was hired for exceptional actuarial skills.... Where's the unthinkable in the equation? We need thinkers and plain common sense not unthinkers!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 11:18 PM

The last thing we need now is a Think Tank.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 06:27 AM

"all in the past" is an interesting angle for something that has no statute of limitations. I thought he was hired for exceptional actuarial skills.... Where's the unthinkable in the equation? We need thinkers and plain common sense not unthinkers!
You mean like the current Labour party or the May government? The reason the country is in such a mess and the Woke brigade have such influence is precisely because of current so called thinkers and the supposedly common sense. Lord protect us from any more of it.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK

19-02-2020, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The last thing we need now is a Think Tank.
You're right we need original thinkers and new ideas.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-02-2020, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
You mean like the current Labour party or the May government? The reason the country is in such a mess and the Woke brigade have such influence is precisely because of current so called thinkers and the supposedly common sense. Lord protect us from any more of it.
There has been a lack of common sense and logical thinking in the last few years. We need more rational thinking and less of the "creative" but impractical ideas that lead us down a rabbit hole to "alice in wonderland" governing.

It's interesting that insults are now used to attack people who disagree with extremist ideology. People only resort to insults when they have no rational argument. The fact is that the sort of theories written about by this individual led to the implementation of pre-Holocaust, anti-Semitic policy in Germany in the 1930s so don't call it "woke" to defend such views. It's right to reject this type of thinking.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK

19-02-2020, 11:27 AM

There has been a lack of common sense and logical thinking in the last few years. We need more rational thinking and less of the "creative" but impractical ideas that lead us down a rabbit hole to "alice in wonderland" governing.

It's interesting that insults are now used to attack people who disagree with extremist ideology. People only resort to insults when they have no rational argument. The fact is that the sort of theories written about by this individual led to the implementation of pre-Holocaust, anti-Semitic policy in Germany in the 1930s so don't call it "woke" to defend such views. It's right to reject this type of thinking.
I think you have that rather the wrong way round Annie. If you look back historically some of the most useful inventions we have today would never have made it into reality without some off the wall thinking. Many of the early inventors and creative thinkers were considered crazy, who would ever have thought at one time you could boil a kettle of water with an electrical current that came out of the end of a cable. Quite often it takes people thinking outside of the box to make the new discoveries.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about insults being made to attack people but there again I think you have that the wrong way round. If you are saying that I insulted you personally when I was referring to the woke brigade generally I wasn't aware that you consider yourself one of them. However I will say this that it seems to me recently that everyone of these incidents that spring up, someone somewhere or other attempts to link them to the Holocaust.

I thought I was making the argument that people are entitled to believe what they want to believe right or wrong. What is wrong is the current various campaigns in the social elite and for want of a better word the woke brigade and others to force their views of a minority group onto the majority. To try to have somebody removed or resign from his post by constant harassment, leaking of half-truths or even outright lies before we've even heard what he's had to say.

As I said before you can't change people's views by force and in my opinion there will always be people around who are racist, bigoted, or both of these,
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-02-2020, 11:41 AM

Eugenics were linked directly to the Holocaust as justification for mass murder. German scientists were measuring head circumference, excluding certain blood types, trying to chemically bleach eyes.

You can say anyone can have a view on anything but do you then condone free speech for paedophiles to put forward their side? What about jihadists? Should either group be employed to run the country because of their "inventive" minds?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top