Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 10:38 PM

Re: Special Fridge Shelf for Vegans?

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
Reading the article it does say "in the workplace " so seems sensible.
A vegan or even vegetarian would not want their lunch beside others' meat or fish products and perhaps not all employees would be that careful at wrapping or covering their food.
Whether or not anyone's food actually needs refrigerating would depend on what it contained. After all the vegan food in the supermarket is usually refrigerated.
Hey, you've just given me a great idea!

If I were a young lad again, and knowing my sense of humour, I'd wipe a slice of ham along a vegan's lunch, just for a laugh. Of course, they'd be none the wiser and probably wonder what I'm sniggering about!

Mind you, I'm much older now and have grown out of such childish activities.

Or have I?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
After saying that, you must definitely be a remainer Xandra??
Donkeyman!
I can see where you are coming from Donkeyman....
It's that frame of mind......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 10:41 PM

The trouble is with vegan and vegetarianism is that all those poor animals have died for nothing.....

And don't forget.....Even carrots have feelings......

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 10:51 PM

I consider myself lucky - for many reasons but in the context of this subject - I love to cook and spend a lot of time at it. For family, friends and neighbours as well as for the homeless shelter I volunteer at every few weeks. I love vegetarian food although I'm not one. But I agree totally with Surfmom about the smell of meat. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I won't allow smoking inside my house or the BBQ area at the back. It makes me feel sick. It's the same with vegos and vegans. The smell of meat makes them feel sick. So my point is why is there an argument about "minorities" ? It's just about mutual consideration coming half way so it's a win/ win for everybody. I shared houses with strict veg mates when I was at university. Everybody wrapped their food properly and meat was kept either in the freezer or cooked as soon as it was bought. Nobody fought about it. And there was no "dictatorship of the majority"..IT wasn't that hard.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
Veganism is far more than a diet, it is a way of life that denounces all forms of exploitation of animals, whether for food, fashion or entertainment.
Yes vegans are a minority group at present but it is a rapidly growing one as can be seen by the sudden explosion of vegan foods in our supermarkets and even all the fast food outlets.
As to your rather bizarre Brexit question Donkeyman your guess is incorrect! I am neither Leaver nor Remainer as I didn't vote and have little interest.

Shame on you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-02-2020, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I consider myself lucky - for many reasons but in the context of this subject - I love to cook and spend a lot of time at it. For family, friends and neighbours as well as for the homeless shelter I volunteer at every few weeks. I love vegetarian food although I'm not one. But I agree totally with Surfmom about the smell of meat. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I won't allow smoking inside my house or the BBQ area at the back. It makes me feel sick. It's the same with vegos and vegans. The smell of meat makes them feel sick. So my point is why is there an argument about "minorities" ? It's just about mutual consideration coming half way so it's a win/ win for everybody. I shared houses with strict veg mates when I was at university. Everybody wrapped their food properly and meat was kept either in the freezer or cooked as soon as it was bought. Nobody fought about it. And there was no "dictatorship of the majority"..IT wasn't that hard.
Don't you just think that somebody is out to deliberately rock the boat?
Most carnivores and vegan/veggies get along quite nicely until the media throw out these antagonistic comments. It's just the same with racism and minority groups. Nobody likes to think that somebody else is getting special favours.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Most carnivores and vegan/veggies get along quite nicely until the media throw out these antagonistic comments. It's just the same with racism and minority groups. Nobody likes to think that somebody else is getting special favours.....
Exactly.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 11:31 PM

The trouble is with vegan and vegetarianism is that all those poor animals have died for nothing.....

And don't forget.....Even carrots have feelings......

The trouble with veganism is that we upset the agricultural economies of some countries by growing staple fashionable grains and veg and send the price rocketing for locals. Mass growth of veg also harms or displaces local wildlife.

I have tried to be vegan in the past, also veggie, then pescatarian. I managed to be pescatarian for over a year. The others don't suit me healthwise and having food allergies just makes it impossible now. I used to feel really bad about it all, but these days I have given up because whatever we do on this planet harms living beings or the planet. It's our nature. We should just accept our nature is not perfect.

As for having a separate shelf in a fridge, well I'd like to see that in practice. Because unless it's clearly a ham sandwich on the label how can anyone know what you have wrapped in foil? I have a number of vegan and veggie friends so I do understand how people feel about this but you cannot take it to extremes where you limit the rights of others in a public place.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 11:31 PM

Of course I do OGF. Boats are being rocked everywhere every day. They have been rocked since the beginning of time. My comment was simply about mutual consideration in a household. Not about "special favours" the media or brexit or anything else..sheeesh. I thought you guys were done with that. Was there a media link?..I missed that. "vegos" and "carnos" can all get on together if they are reasonable people. If they fight with each other it's probably not much to do with food. I just looked back..yes the media link. It's about workplaces. OK that's a whole new can of worms. Refer to HR..await reply and argue on. I'll just sit here and be a happy joke.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Wooo ... is that a vegan burger? Looks nice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51557090
Yes well I don't believe that she eats a burger like that and keeps that slim figure do you.
Mind that vodka and squeezed lemon slushy looks good dunnit.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top