Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 03:01 PM

Re: Foreign Aid Cut

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Tell that to the people of Kent.
Illegal immigration into Kent is because we can't control our borders like we would want to because of the EHRC.

Once in, are powerless to evict them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
But prevention is better than cure and besides, we open another market to export to by enabling trade.

Look at Iraq now compared to about 20 years ago. It has Range Rover dealerships in Basra, for example and we can export goods to it rather than just give it cash all the time. We can import from these countries too - expanding choice is a good thing.

Holing yourself up in a country doesn't help anyone
I don't give a tinkers cuss about helping anyone except the UK and my homeland. That helps ME. Sod the rest.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I don't give a tinkers cuss about helping anyone except the UK and my homeland. That helps ME. Sod the rest.
Fair enough
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 03:42 PM

Why send aid to China someone asked ^^^ up there. I'd like to add India and Pakistan to the list because both have reasonably well developed economies (India especially). There are probably other countries receiving aid that shouldn't because they either don't really deserve it, if the recipient country got its act together it could sort itself out, or it goes straight into the pockets of officials. In any case, there are far too many quangos and companies making large fortunes out of Foreign Aid in my opinion.

My suggestion: Needy countries should put together a costed plan of action and the funds/products/medicines/etc will be provided on a staged basis.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Why send aid to China someone asked ^^^ up there. I'd like to add India and Pakistan to the list because both have reasonably well developed economies (India especially). There are probably other countries receiving aid that shouldn't because they either don't really deserve it, if the recipient country got its act together it could sort itself out, or it goes straight into the pockets of officials. In any case, there are far too many quangos and companies making large fortunes out of Foreign Aid in my opinion.

My suggestion: Needy countries should put together a costed plan of action and the funds/products/medicines/etc will be provided on a staged basis.
MY suggestion is give our taxes to NO FOREIGN COUNTRIES.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 04:56 PM

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/831920...of-corruption/

If I thought our overseas aid, in its current form, really alleviated misery and suffering I’d be all for it.
An opinion which most hold.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

14-07-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/831920...of-corruption/

An opinion which most hold.
I wouldn't. No means NO.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 05:33 PM

https://debatingmatters.com/topic/th...gn-aid-budget/

The level of foreign aid has long been a controversial topic in British politics. For many, foreign aid is a moral imperative arising from the UK’s position as a rich country and its moral duties to help those worse off [Ref: Archbishop of Canterbury] – a duty that is doubly serious given the UK’s history of colonial exploitation and military intervention [Ref: Guardian]. In addition, many insist that foreign aid is a key source of ‘soft power’ for the UK and a way to ensure its international reputation and spread its values [Ref: The Conversation]. Nonetheless, others insist that ‘charity always begins at home’ [Ref: Express] and it is unacceptable that the UK spends money on relieving poverty abroad while homelessness and poverty exists in the UK [Ref: Guardian]. Likewise, they note that much foreign aid is given to relatively wealthy global economic powerhouses such as India and China [Ref: The Week]. In a time of economic crisis, such dubious expenses are said to be increasingly unaffordable.
Keeping up appearances, no matter what.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

14-07-2021, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://debatingmatters.com/topic/th...gn-aid-budget/

Keeping up appearances, no matter what.
Just say NO.

Not our problem.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

14-07-2021, 07:23 PM

Easy for us plebs.

Politicians have had their day, country should be run by those best qualified.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top