Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 08:05 PM

Re: Foreign Aid Cut

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Handouts aren't the way to help developing countries. Getting rid of trade barriers and having fairer trade policies is far better.

Leaving the EU has enabled the UK to do this. Giving countries money keeps them in poverty and dependent on other nations.
I completely agree.

Leaving the EU has, after all, allowed us to make our own trade agreements which must benefit us rather than 27 other European countries, many of which don't give a toss about us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Easy for us plebs.

Politicians have had their day, country should be run by those best qualified.
The problem with many politicians is that many of them (though I really don't know which ones specifically) are more concerned with their own politics or their own business interests rather than what's best for the country.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 10:54 AM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...heresa-may-spt

However, Mr Major has been challenged on his criticism, given his government's record on foreign aid spending and his own calls for a "Royal Yacht" in 1997.

At the time, Mr Major said: “We have taken that decision because we believe that a Royal Yacht is an important national asset and projects a prestigious image of Britain which adds powerfully to official occasions.

Pot kettle black.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...heresa-may-spt

However, Mr Major has been challenged on his criticism, given his government's record on foreign aid spending and his own calls for a "Royal Yacht" in 1997.

At the time, Mr Major said: “We have taken that decision because we believe that a Royal Yacht is an important national asset and projects a prestigious image of Britain which adds powerfully to official occasions.

Pot kettle black.
I'd say that Mr Major is a little out of touch.

Agreements are made electronically these days and meetings can be done in a similar way.
Gone are the days when we send our Queen on a yacht to foreign countries to drum up trade!

And if a meeting is best conducted in person, we fly. It's much quicker. A nicely painted Royal airliner would be a lot cheaper, in fact I think we already have one.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 11:09 AM

Still the grey man.

Posture-politics is pathetic.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd say that Mr Major is a little out of touch.

Agreements are made electronically these days and meetings can be done in a similar way.
Gone are the days when we send our Queen on a yacht to foreign countries to drum up trade!

And if a meeting is best conducted in person, we fly. It's much quicker. A nicely painted Royal airliner would be a lot cheaper, in fact I think we already have one.
We did have a "Royal Flight" but I think that went a few years ago in some round of spending cuts or others.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-07-2021, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We did have a "Royal Flight" but I think that went a few years ago in some round of spending cuts or others.
Actually, we don't really need a Royal Flight anyway. We have plenty of military transports which could do the job at the drop of a hat.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 04:28 PM

Back to foreign aid.

If this really worked, wtf are there so many adverts on TV begging us to sign up for monthly subscriptions for Water Aid, various vaccine programmes, eye diseases, etc, usually in countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sudan, Ethiopia, etc?

I reckon these ads just go to prove that most of the foreign aid money DOESN'T get to where it's actually needed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-07-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Back to foreign aid.

If this really worked, wtf are there so many adverts on TV begging us to sign up for monthly subscriptions for Water Aid, various vaccine programmes, eye diseases, etc, usually in countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sudan, Ethiopia, etc?

I reckon these ads just go to prove that most of the foreign aid money DOESN'T get to where it's actually needed.
Don't forget that, in addition, charities are big business for their owners. I remember reading quite a few years ago about Oxfam making millions for its owners. Presumably much of it going into their personal bank balances.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 05:03 PM

definately stop overseas aid. India for example use it to send rockets into spaced

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top