Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Re: Frugal living

Uncle Joe

All I can say is "each to their own"!

I am quite experimental with food but have never been experimental in terms of what meat I would eat.

I guess vegetianism and the ethics of eating meat is a whole new thread!

Sandy

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sandy darlin' - I've (knowingly) eaten horse meat many years ago whilst in France. There's nothing wrong with horse meat per se, its quite tasty actually. However, its about 1/4 the price of premium beef and the furore over the food scandal has been that we've all been charged premium price for beef, when the contents of the food sold is primarily horse meat. As you will see from reading some of my posts, I'm game for trying most things, and apart from eating horse meat per se, have a good butcher near me who sells 'safari meats' from African and Australian animals - meat which is very healthy because there's no fat on it at all - just good wholesome solid chunks of flesh.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->

I didn't mean the thread to be about vegetarianism as such but more about frugal living and vegetarianism being one such aspect.

Sandy
Well, one tip I can give that I learned a few days ago that vinegar kills weeds. I've put it on some weeds and grass that's growing through the patio slabs and they are actually dying! I was looking for a weedkiller not harmful to pets and came across that bit of advice - and cheap as anything! I will be watching over the next few days to see if they die off altogether - it will make life so much easier and not wasting money on toxic chemicals.

Always bulk cook and freeze portion sizes - I do this with puddings/cakes as well (more out of laziness than anything else but if the oven is on, it is filled).

I like water and keep a jug filled with it but flavour it with orange, lime, grapefruit or lemon slices or, for a different taste, cucumber slices - lovely in the summer and cheaper than other soft drinks.

I heard recently about a clothes swapping idea that sounds good, you can contact Clothing Swap and Buffalo Exchange or host your own by inviting friends, set a minimum number of pieces for each to bring, and trade away.

Men's hankies tend to have a tailored look to them so you can use new ones (quite cheap) to make a window valance which can look very nice.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Hello Sandy, and welcome to the forum.
Frugality living is fine by me, but I feel you mean more a healthy living, now that I aspire for it makes feel that much better in yourself.
Take no notice of Williow, you do right to feed your dog well, as it can't fend for itself now.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Hi Sandy, I quite like vegetarian food, but I've found some recipes quite expensive! I think we waste too much .. so I try to use up all the odds and ends of vegetables, meat and the odd slice of bread by making something that I can freeze. I also make batches of food, like lasagne and freeze in portions.
I like my heating - ours is on 24hrs a day - very low over night, then up to 15C during the morning. We turn it up to 18C for the evening. It's not too expensive and comfortable for us.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Good tip Karen, use white vinegar for cleaning toilets etc.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Good tip Karen, use white vinegar for cleaning toilets etc.
You must be a mind-reader Wrinkly - I've just read that! It states that the smell of vinegar goes when it has dried - I hope that's true as I shall give that a go on my kitchen floor (with the dogs in and out all the time and traipsing mud in from the garden - my soon to be weedless garden )

Just a thought: my kitchen floor is quarry tiled (I think that's what they're called) and they're porous - would that make a difference do you think?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

02-03-2013, 11:44 AM

I don't think so, once dried the smell goes.
But why not clean you worktops cutting boards etc as well.
The best anti bacterial man has, is Iodine, unfortunately it stains.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 12:00 PM

water, vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice was what I used once a week on unsealed hand made quarry tiles (not mine) then mopped over with plain water. Boy did it fetch the muck up. On ordinary tiled floor use cheap bath foam I usually add a cap of bleach for bathroom and kitchen tops too. Works well and cheaper than Flash etc.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Just like to comment about feeding pets better than yourself - you do well to do so as it can save you hundreds at the vet. We always make sure our dogs have the best, they return that by staying healthy and not needing expensive treatments at the vet.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 12:38 PM

That's all well and good, but I doubt if there is a very direct relationship between cost and quality. I'm sure you can give dogs a healthy diet without spending a fortune. I also suspect that good health comes from exercise, welfare, living conditions etc.. not just food.

If people look after themselves well - then they generally don't have many visits to the doctor!

Janela, I don't find vegeterian dishes particularly expensive, but they do seem to take a lot of time and effort to make.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top